cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
tiggermorales
Level 1

State 1099s

I use intuit online for payroll, they only file 1099s for federal filing, then tell you to look up what to do for your state. 

I'm in California, and the link tells you NOTHING about the 1099 filing form for the state. Does anybody have information on this?

Thanks so much

19 Comments 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

Hey @tiggermorales,

Welcome to the community! 

We wrote an article that has several links to state-specific tax articles. I'm not sure if you're looking for something specific or general information, but these resources should help!

JazzyB
Level 3

State 1099s

This did not help me.

tstreet
Level 1

State 1099s

This tells me I need to file and when the deadline is but not how?

Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

@tstreet and @JazzyB

Thanks for the feedback! Are you asking about how to file 1099-MISCs in the QuickBooks product, or just how to file 1099s in general? 

If it's the prior, here are the instructions; if it's the latter, check out this page from the IRS website

JUSTNAN
Level 1

State 1099s

I am also looking to find out how to get an IRS formatted file/download that I can use to electroncially file my STATE 1099 forms. None of the links provided asnwer that question. Any suggestions on how to download an IRS approved format from QB?

Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

@JUSTNAN

Thank you for your feedback! The article is meant to provide information about state-specific rules and regulations for 1099s and other tax forms. 

If you're looking for how to actually file 1099-MISCs in QuickBooks, we have that information as well. Here are the instructions.

If you just want to download the forms and fill them out by hand, here is the page from the IRS website

JenPM
Level 3

State 1099s

In my experience, we just send the 1099's red copy to the IRS and the 1096 (summary) to the IRS. I am located in California and the business I worked at never sent anything to the state regarding 1099s. Not saying this is right.... Just my experience!

Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

Hey @JenPM,

I am curious (I too am in California), how long have you been doing this? And who set the policy? Just trying to clarify!

WineGuy
Level 5

State 1099s

Greeting James, Jen et al.  The 1099 is a federal form and not filed directly to CA state.  CA gets payroll info from EDD and 1099 info from the Feds.  Employers in CA must also notify EDD of new 1099 contractors.  CA gets the info they need if everyone plays by the rules.  As far as the forms go, you can only print the plain paper copies from QB.  3rd party 1099 kits incl the required red scannable forms.   I prefer to get the free IRS 1099/1096 forms mailed to me which include the red-scannable forms.  Electronic filing can only be done with an e-file provider for a fee or IRS FIRE account  (not worth the trouble for a small business).  The employer is still responsible for getting copies to the 1099 recipients however.  I snail mail 1099's for my independent contractors  with their last check for the tax year.  That way I know they got their 1099 if their check was cashed.    Cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

@WineGuy, good catch, I realize I wrote 1099 instead of just "tax." The EDD is one of the links in the article. 

This is great info, thank you. This would make a great article... :)

WineGuy
Level 5

State 1099s

Howdy James.  Also occured to me state tax agencies get  1099 info when taxpayers file their federal & state tax returns.  If a taxpayer was to leave 1099 income off their state return income wouldn't match their federal return which would be a big red flag.  When filing state returns federal returns are usually attached.  All this explains why CA and probabaly other states don't require employers to send 1099's directly to them.  Kind of obvious when you think about it.  Cheers!

JazzyB
Level 3

State 1099s

Thanks Wine Guy. I think you covered it for all of us. For what it is worth, I asked my CPA after I posted here and he confirmed that it is not necessary to file what would be the "equivalent fed form 1099" to California. I think I asked specifically my CPA about the 1099 Misc.

JazzyB
Level 3

State 1099s

James, I am not sure if you work for Quickbooks but it would be a good suggestion for quickbooks to change the article that you referred us all to, to cover W-2's only or better yet add another paragraph to cover 1099s. As it is written now, you think you are going to get information on the 1099 but the only information you get is the filing date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

@JazzyB,

Thanks for the feedback. I do indeed work for QuickBooks. Are you referring to this article?

JazzyB
Level 3

State 1099s

Yes

Anonymous
Not applicable

State 1099s

@JazzyB, thanks for letting me know, we appreaciate the feedback. I will reach out to the author, they are on a different team. 

rjdevco
Level 1

State 1099s

I am interested to find out about this as well.   I am required to e-file with the state of MA because of the volume.   I am required to use IRS Formatted file.  

I didn't see that the response you received gave instructions on how to find this in QB's.   My other question would be, is there a third-party application that will export and format the file for me?

Any help would be appreciated... the clock is ticking !!!!

Thank you !

rjdevco
Level 1

State 1099s

I am interested to find out about this as well.   I am required to e-file with the state of MA because of the volume.   I am required to use IRS Formatted file.  

I didn't see that the response you received gave instructions on how to find this in QB's.   My other question would be, is there a third-party application that will export and format the file for me?

Any help would be appreciated... the clock is ticking !!!!

Thank you !

scole
Level 1

State 1099s

in Arkansas if I file paper 1099 to IRS and there was no withholding on the 1099, must I send 1099s to the state?

Need to get in touch?

Contact us