cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member

2018 W-2 Forms Look Different

Does anyone know why the annual 2018 W-2 forms that are generated from QuickBooks look different than they have in the past and why they don't match the format of the W-2 form that is found on the IRS website?  Is this new format acceptable to the IRS?

8 Comments
Highlighted
QuickBooks Team

Re: 2018 W-2 Forms Look Different

Hi there, Jeff10.

I tried to open the W-2 Forms in my QuickBooks Online and they look the same from what we have last year. It also has the same format from the one available in the IRS website. 

The forms available in the program are compliant to the guidelines given by the IRS. If they look totally different in your QuickBooks Online (QBO), try to log in to your account using a different browser. Chrome, Mozilla, Edge, and Safari works are compatible with QBO. The, open the forms once again to check if they look fine.

Let me know if you have other payroll questions. I'll get back here to help you again. 

Experienced Member

Thanks Jeno.  I opened the W-2 forms in Chrome and Edge and had the same result.  They look different from the normal IRS W-2 forms.  They contain the same information, but the format  is different.  I've never seen it formatted this way.  I called QuickBooks for additional support on this topic.  They said that the format in QuickBooks has changed for 2018, but they could not confirm why it changed.  I was wondering if any other users are experiencing this same thing?

Established Member

Yes I have a similar problem.  I usually use the 3 part perforated W-2 forms, but that won’t work with the 4 part that is being generated from my Quickbooks.

QuickBooks Team

Welcome back to the Online Community, @Jeff10.

Allow me to join the conversation. I’m here to provide clarification why your W-2 form looks different.

As mentioned by @JenoP, the forms available in the program are compliant to the guidelines provided by the IRS. If you’re referring to the printing option, we updated it so customers can either print the W-2 forms to 3-fold perforated paper to 4-fold.

For more insights about the update, feel free to read this article: Print W-2 forms.

If you meant something else, I’d appreciate any details you can provide to help me get on the same page.  

I'll keep a lookout for your reply. I want to make sure this is taken care of for you. Have a good one.

Experienced Member

Here is a snippet of what the form looks like to me.  It does not look like the version that is on the IRS website.

Hi there, @Jeff10.

Thanks for getting back to us and for providing a screenshot of your W-2 form. Allow me to step in for a moment and share some information about the W-2 format in QuickBooks Online (QBO).

As what my colleagues mentioned, the forms that are available in QBO are compliant to the guidelines given by the IRS. As long as the information is correct when processing or printing the W-2s, the IRS will still accept your submission.

For your reference, you can also check out these articles for more information:

That's it! Should you have any follow-up questions or concern, don't hesitate to leave a comment below. Take care and have a great rest of the day.

Experienced Member

Thanks for the response and help.  It still seems strange that the format would be changed for no known reason, especially when it exactly matched the IRS format in the all the previous years that I worked in QBO. 

Hi again, @Jeff10.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm going to submit feedback to our Product Developers so they can take a look at this for you. I also invite you to leave feedback as well. This can be done directly through your account by clicking the Gear icon in the top right corner, then select Feedback by going to the following link: https://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/.

That's it! Thanks for being a part of our QuickBooks family. Feel free to post again or leave a comment below should you need further assistance. Wishing you and your business continued success.