cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

Adjust payroll liabilities

We were late on a payroll liability and had to pay at the Gov't website. How do we remove the QB liability from the system?

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Adjust payroll liabilities

Hi there, @Pesach,

It's nice to have you here in our forums. I'm glad you're able to complete you tax payments with the agency. I can help you record the payment inside QuickBooks Desktop.

There are two options to record a payment made outside QuickBooks. You can follow the instructions I've outlined for you:

Option 1: Create a liability check.

1. Go to the Employees menu and click Payroll Taxes and Liabilities.
  2. Choose Pay Scheduled Liabilities.
  3. On the Pay Taxes & Other Liabilities window, click the tax liability you'd like to pay then select View/Pay.
  4. Check the payment information then click the Check radio button to avoid duplicate submission of your payment.
  5. Hit Save & Close.

Option 2: Enter Prior Payments

1. Go to the Help menu.
  2. Select About Intuit QuickBooks.
  3. Press Ctrl+Shift+Y on your keyboard once the green logo appears.
    prior.PNG
  4. Click Next four times until you see Enter prior payments.
  5. Tap the Create payment button.
  6. Make sure the Payment Date and the For Period Ending matches with the one showing on the Pay Liabilities window.
  7. In the Item Name column, enter the tax item then enter the Amount.
  8. Click Accounts Affected and pick Do not affect accounts.
  9. Hit OK then Done.
    prior1.PNG

That should get your work done, @Pesach. You may want to check these related articles to guide you with the process:

Enter historical tax payments in Desktop payroll

Set up and pay scheduled or custom (unscheduled) liabilities

If I can be of additional assistance, please let me know by leaving a comment below. I'll be glad to check on them for you. Have a good one!