cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Explorer **

Help with rejected W-2/W-3 efile

I have both 941 and 943 employees.  I as able to successfully e-file my W-2's for the 941 employees however I received notice that the 943 e-file was rejected by the SSA as a "duplicate".  I double checked and there are no duplicate employees in the filings and I clearly marked one W-3 as 941 and the other as 943.  Do I need to just mail the rejected filing to SSA?  Has anyone else encountered this?

4 Comments
Community Manager

Re: Help with rejected W-2/W-3 efile

Hello saball731,

The first submitted W-2 form might contains all your employee names.  That could be the reason why they mark the second submission as duplicate.

You can also call the SSA directly to ask for more clarification. Please go to this link from the SSA website to get their phone number: https://www.ssa.gov/employer/bsohbnew.htm. 

If you have any questions, please let us know. Thanks! 

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

@GarlynGay

RE: The SSA only allows you to e-file the W-2 Copies A and D forms (includes all employees) once.

This is not correct.  You can file in batches. As long as you don't file the same employee's W-2 more than once, then there is no issue with the SSA.  In fact, if the an employer is large enough they are required to file using multiple submissions - per the instructions which are easy to find online.

Community Explorer **

Thank you.  I knew that was incorrect because I've always had to file my 941 employees separately from my 943 employees.  I spoke with the SSA this morning and their computer shows that my W-3/W-2's each had ALL of my employees included and so the second transmission was considered a duplicate.  Apparently the problem is that I chose "all employees" on the beginning screen and then individually selected which ones I wanted to include on that particular submission.  I assumed that if I didn't include the employee by checkmarking it, it wouldn't be included in the final submission... especially since the printed version of my W-3 shows the correct number and total wages for that batch.  Smiley Sad  Smiley Sad  I'm assuming I now have to file W-2c/W-3c's to correct this and I'm so frustrated.

BRC
Established Community Backer ***

That doesn't sound good!  But since you did file all the employees accidentally, what is there to fix?

For example, I don't think there is a requirement to split the W-2's into two submissions in your case, where you split your reporting between the 941 and 943.  At least, I've never heard of such a requirement.