cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mike16
Level 3

How do I print a previously efiled 941?

For some reason the IRS didn't have record of my 1st and 2nd quarter 2018 941 payments.  They sent me a mailer and I mailed to them in return, the bank statements showing the monies paid.  Now I got a letter from them saying that they received the monies, but there is no 941 for period ending March 31, 2018.  Last year I did all of my payroll stuff using my QB payroll subscription, so it was all e-filed.

How can I manually print out a copy of the 941 from 1st quarter 2018 which was electronically submitted?  I want to mail this to them.

Thanks!

Solved
Best answer February 18, 2019

Best Answers
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello mike16,

Let me show you how to print the filed 941 form so you can mail it to the IRS. 

1. Click on the Employees menu.
  2. Choose Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, then Process Payroll Forms
  3. Choose filing period to Quarter Ending to 03/31/2018.
  4. Click on the 941 form. 

If you need more help, please let us know. 

View solution in original post

40 Comments 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello mike16,

Let me show you how to print the filed 941 form so you can mail it to the IRS. 

1. Click on the Employees menu.
  2. Choose Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s, then Process Payroll Forms
  3. Choose filing period to Quarter Ending to 03/31/2018.
  4. Click on the 941 form. 

If you need more help, please let us know. 

mike16
Level 3

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're most welcome, mike16.

If you need anything else, please post your questions here. We'll be glad to help. 

qwc
Level 1

when you do what you said on getting old forms to print 

they just come up with the 2020 form and not the 2019 form 

I want the one i saved that shows 2019 on the form 

so dont understand why we can get the form we saved when we processed it back in June 2019

Jovychris_A

Thanks for posting to the Community, @qwc.

You can check the Filed forms to show the old forms.

When you select the Prepare forms, you should have the option to select the year of the form.

In this case that you're unable to print correctly 2019 form 941, I'll recommend contacting our Payroll Support Team. They have tools to pull up your account and help you print the form.

Here's how:

1. Open your QuickBooks, and then press F1.
  2. Click Contact Us.
  3. Provide your query in the textbox.
  4. Select Start a message.

Please feel free to leave a message to this post if you have further questions. I'll be there to help. Take care!

user32822
Level 2

This is not helpful, because it addressed creating a new form. How do I access a previously efiled form 941?

MaryLurleenM

I got you covered, user32822.

To check your Saved Filings, follow these steps below:

1. Click Employees on the menu.
  2. Select Payroll Center.
  3. Go to the File Forms tab.
  4. Under Filing History, go to the Saved Filings tab.
  5. A table of all your saved tax forms in PDF format is displayed. Select the link under the Saved PDF column to open the file.

Let me know if you need further assistance, I'd be happy to be of help.

user32822
Level 2

Thank you. 

This helped... somewhat. Only the most recent (2020) forms were in Saved Filings. There are no Saved PDFs predating 2020. 

I think with my most recent upgrade to 2020, in which Intuit Customer Service assisted me, all the previous were deleted(??!).

What should I do?

JenoP

Hi there, user32822.

It's possible that the backup or company file that was restored when moving to the 2020 version does not include the previous saved tax forms.

If you still have a backup copy of the file prior to the upgrade, you can restore it. Then, go back to the Save Filings section and check if you can see the older tax forms. 

Follow the steps in this article about restoring backup copies: Restore a backup of your company file

Please continue to add another reply if you still need help with this. The Community is always here for you.

bakerpipe2
Level 1

it will not open pdf file... says there is a problem with adobe... is running 15.3

JoesemM

Hello there, @bakerpipe2.

One possible reason why you’re having the issue is that the pdf reader is damage. Several users were able to fix it by running the pdf repair tool.

1. Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub file.
  2. Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
  3. Follow the on-screen instruction on how to install.
  4. Double click the icon to open the tool hub.
  5. Once there, select Program Problems. 
  6. Choose QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool. 
  7. Try open again the pdf file.

If this won’t work, you can proceed to solution two, three and four in this article: Troubleshoot PDF and Print problems with QuickBooks Desktop. 

You can also update QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release so your software has the latest features and fixes.

If you need help in navigating your QuickBooks Desktop account, you can browse our Help articles.

Let me know if you need further concerns about troubleshooting PDF forms. I'd be glad to help you out. Take care.

MicheleF
Level 1

I'm having the same issue as we need last years 941 and 940 forms for the paycheck protection loan. I went through all the steps above. The confirmations for e-file is there under "filing history" but not the actual 941. If I try and re-create the 941 quarterly for 2019 it is done on a 2020 form. how do i print a copy of the 941 that I filed through QB pro for 2019? Thanks

SarahannC

Hello there, MicheleF.

I appreciate for trying the steps that were shared above. 

We have the 2020 form for 941, but the information is still for 2019. It is because we do not have the 941 forms for the year 2019 or before this year.

What we can do is download a form from the IRS and manually enter the information on it. We can reach out to the IRS by contacting them or visiting their website.

Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm willing to help you more. Stay safe and healthy!

user32822
Level 2

Hi MichaelF,

Here's how I found the forms for the Paycheck Protection Application.

Do not open the Quickbooks program.

Go to the main Quickbooks folder on your computer and then to the subfolder "...Tax Form History" then to subfolder "INWKS941." You may have to look for "2019" as well, depending on when you last upgraded your QB program.

The files you need will be there, already in pdf format. Make a copy to use for the application and save into another folder.

I hope this helps.

T.

user32822
Level 2

Hi MichaelF,

Here's how I found the forms for the Paycheck Protection Application.

Do not open the Quickbooks program.

Go to the main Quickbooks folder on your computer and then to the subfolder "...Tax Form History" then to subfolder "INWKS941." You may have to look for "2019" as well, depending on when you last upgraded your QB program.

The files you need will be there, already in pdf format. Make a copy to use for the application and save into another folder.

I hope this helps.

T.

john-pero
Community Champion

Sad that the OP marked the wrong answer by the rep as solving their dilemma. However I would not move the forms from their default location, just make a copy for easy access in a different folder related to the task at hand, such as compiling all info related to a PPP loan in one folder for easier transmittal to the bank. As long as you remember how you navigated through (example) Users/Public/Public Documents/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/{companyname}Tax Form History/941 you can always save a bookmark to that location/folder

user32822
Level 2

@john-pero wrote:

Sad that the OP marked the wrong answer by the rep as solving their dilemma. However I would not move the forms from their default location, just make a copy for easy access in a different folder related to the task at hand, such as compiling all info related to a PPP loan in one folder for easier transmittal to the bank. As long as you remember how you navigated through (example) Users/Public/Public Documents/Intuit/QuickBooks/Company Files/{companyname}Tax Form History/941 you can always save a bookmark to that location/folder

I agree. In my post, I suggest copying the pdf files and placing the copy in another folder.

T.

AFG-Brian
Level 2

QB used to keep ALL historical payroll tax form filings in "Tax Form History"  subfolder "INWKS941" or whichever subfolder you want.  C:\users\public\public documents\Intuit\Quickbooks\company files\xxxxxx(your company file)\Tax From History.  Seems that it now only keeps the most recent 12 months.  I can't imagine why that is and a Really bad decision by Intuit .  Personally, I used to keep a separate copy of my filings in a different folder on my PC separate from Intuit/QB.  When I learned several years ago where to find old copies of all the forms in the tax form history, I stopped keeping my own separate copies.  Looks like I will have to go back to saving duplicate copies on my own.  Fortunately, I am old school and actually have paper copies of All my payroll activities for the last 7 years.  The paper file folder is awfully big, but paper works.

dgarcia107
Level 1

I have read the above replies. I just downloaded quick books pro. I want to reprint the 941 forms for 2019.  A file I received from my bookkeepers uploaded all my information for previous year. Not sure how to reprint these forms. I am my only employee of my company and pay myself via an S Corp. can someone please tell me how to print. Thank you. 

JamesDuanT

Hello dgarcia107,

Before we can reprint the 941 forms, there are thing that we need to consider. Make sure your QuickBooks Desktop release and Tax Table release versions are updated.

After that, we can already locate and print the forms. To see the detailed steps, you can browse this article for more information: 

Feel free to get back to us if you require additional assistance in printing the forms. Have a great day!

sclaren
Level 1

Hi, I have a similar problem. Except when i click on the pdf link it give me the following error:

HTTP 404 Not Found and states that the webpage cannot be found

Any idea what could be causing this?

JonpriL

Hello @sclaren,

The error message prompt can be related to the latest PDF reader installed on your computer. Let's consider repairing it so you can view and print your payroll tax form. I'll show you how.

1. Close all your open programs, including QuickBooks.
  2. Go to Start.
  3. Type Control Panel, then press Enter.
  4. Select Programs and Features.
  5. Click Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
  6. Select Uninstall/Change.
  7. Click Repair.
  8. Select Install.
  9. Click Finish.

Once the system finished repairing your PDF reader, consider restarting your computer before viewing and printing your payroll tax form.

Lastly, here's an article you can read for ideas about other payroll tax forms you can print: Print W-2 and W-3 forms.

Keep me updated in the comments if you have any other questions. I'll be here to lend a hand.

user32822
Level 2

Hi dgarcia107,

There seems to be a lot of misinformation here.

Unless you have both a very old version of Adobe Reader AND have auto-update turned off, your Adobe Reader program should be fine.

After much experimentation and following advice here that doesn't work, I found that this is the EASIEST way to find the pdf of tax forms filed:

1. Do not open the Quickbooks program.

2. Go to the main Quickbooks folder on your computer and then to the subfolder "...Tax Form History" then to subfolder "INWKS941." You may have to look for "2019" as well, depending on when you last upgraded your QB program.

3. The files you need will be there, already in pdf format.

4. Make a copy to use for the application and save into another folder. Rename the files as appropriate.

I hope this helps.

T.

user32822
Level 2

Hi  dgarcia107,

There seems to be a lot of misinformation here. 

Unless you both have a very old version of Adobe Reader AND have the auto-update feature turned off, your Adobe Reader should be up-to-date. (auto-update is automatically on, unless manually turned off)

After following much of the above advice to no avail and much experimentation on my own, I found the following to be the EASIEST way to find tax forms filed through the desktop Quickbooks program.

1. Do not open the Quickbooks program.

2. Go to the main Quickbooks folder on your computer and then to the subfolder "...Tax Form History" then to subfolder "INWKS941." You may have to look for "2019" as well, depending on the year you need.

3. The files you need will be there, already in pdf format.

4. Make a copy to use for the application and save into another location. Rename as appropriate.

I hope this helps.

T.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us