cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

How do I set up wholesale tax rates for invoices?

Hi! How do I set up wholesale tax rates for certain products? We deal in wholesale and retail. Thanks!

5 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: How do I set up wholesale tax rates for invoices?

Hello there, sundogbread.

Good to see you here in QuickBooks Community. I'm here to help and walk you through on how to set up sales tax rates.

Are you using the QuickBooks Online version? If so, here's how you can add a sales tax rate:

1. From the left menu bar, select Taxes.
  2. Under the Related Tasks list on the right, choose Add/edit tax rates and agencies.
  3. Select New and choose either a single or a combined tax rate.
  4. Enter a name for the tax, the agency you pay, and the percentage for the rate. Use a single rate if you pay just one rate to a single agency.
  5. Select Save.

Once done, here's how you can now apply the sales tax rate for certain products:

1. From the left tab, select Sales.
  2. Go to Products and Services.
  3. Choose the product you want to add a sales tax rate, and click Edit.
  4. Make sure to put a check mark on the Is taxable box. 
  5. Click the Sales tax category drop-down arrow, and select the sales tax rate you added. 
  6. Once done, click Save and Close

For additional reference, you can check this article: 

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend calling our QuickBooks Online Support Team. They have additional tools to pull your account and do a remote session. 

Here's how you can contact our phone support: 

1. Go to: Get help with QuickBooks Online.
  2. Click the contact us link. 
  3. Select the Search for something else, and type-in Customer Support
  4. Click Search.
  5. Scroll-down and click Get Phone Number

This will get you on the right track. Don't hesitate to leave a comment if you have other concerns about sales tax rate. I'm always here to help you out.

Experienced Member

Hi! Yes, I am using Quickbooks online simple start. I selected Taxes on the left menu bar, but there is no option for Related Tasks and add/edit tax rates on the right (I attached a screenshot of what I am seeing). Under 'sale tax settings' I am able to add an agency, but only from a list of states sales tax. I would like to invoice for my states sales tax and wholesale tax. Is this feature not available for the simple start version? Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 3.24.43 PM.png

QuickBooks Team

I see that you're using the automated sales tax, sundogbread.

This is the new sales tax feature in QuickBooks Online. Our system will automatically apply the taxes based on your set up. You can check this article for more information: Set up and use Automated Sales Tax.

For now, you'll have to manually override the tax to add the wholesale amount. Here's how:

1. On the invoice, click the Sales tax link.
  2. Click the Override this amount link.
  3. Add the tax rate or enter the amount.
  4. Add a Reason, then click Confirm override.
  5. Click Close.

You can check the screenshots below for reference.

Let me know if you have other concerns. Have a nice day!

Experienced Member

Is it possible to turn off automated sales tax? I'd rather have the taxes separate so I won't have to override the sales tax every time. Also, if I override will I be able to see how much retail tax vs wholesale tax was charged or will it all be summed together? 

Community Manager

Hello sundogbread,

What you've been doing is the effective way to override the sales tax rates. For now, to turn off the auto sales tax in QuickBook Online, you'll need to contact us. Our technical representative can opt out this function. 

You can get our phone number by following these steps:

1. Click on this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. Select QuickBooks Online. 
  3. Choose Taxes.
  4. Select Sales tax.
  5. Click on Get Phone Number or Start a Message.

If you have any questions, please let us know. Thanks!