cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Established Member

How to automatically populate the sales tax on invoices based on location of customer

I live in Canada.

Unlike in the US where you only have to collect tax for sales made in the state where you have a presence, 

In Canada we have to collect sales tax for every Canadian customer regardless of which province our business is in, and which province the customer lives in.

The issue is, that in creating invoices with multiple items, for EVERY item I have to choose the tax  rate.  I would like to choose the tax rate once (based on the sales tax collected for that province).  And then I want Quick books to automatically populate the sales tax for the remainder of the line items (products) I enter.  This will save me a lot of time and frustration.

Please tell me how I can get Quick books Online to automatically populate the sales tax field for numerous items on an invoice.  (I don't mind having to choose the tax rate for the first item, as a guide).

Thank you.

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: How to automatically populate the sales tax on invoices based on location of customer

Hello Eli, 

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Community. Canadian taxes are structured differently than they are in the US, and I'd be happy to help you set up a default tax. You can assign a specific tax rate to your customers, which will save you time when creating their invoice.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click the Sales tab on the left navigation menu.

2. Select Customers at the top of the page.

3. Click the customer you'd like to assign a tax code to from the list.

4. Click Edit.

5. In the Tax Info tab, check off the box to "Assign a default tax code".

6. Select the appropriate tax rate from the drop-down menu.

7. Click Save.

That's all there is to it. When you create an invoice for your customer, each line item will automatically add the default tax code. 

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out for help.

Have a good day!