cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Contributor *

I need to create a report that shows total Invoice Sales broken down by State. Please help?

The Company I work for is now using QB online for invoicing. They do mobile work in 4 states and I am trying  to find a report for total revenue by state for  tax purposes. Each customer is associated with a state so the sales tax goes on the invoice correctly.

With my own business, I use the desktop version and I can find out this information by “Class”. I just have to pick from the drop down list when filling in my invoice.

How do I get this same information from QB online?

4 Comments

Re: I need to create a report that shows total Invoice Sales broken down by State. Please help?

Hello there, @Ladyaruba.

Thank you for joining the Community. I'd be happy to help share some insights about creating a report that shows the total Invoice Sales by state.

You can also use class tracking in QuickBooks Online to enter the state on the invoice. I recommend checking the article for the detailed steps to set this up, as well as how to create them: How to set up and use class and location tracking

After that, you can assign the class to the invoice. I've included a screenshot on how an invoice will appear: 

Finally, you can customize the Transaction Detail by Account report to generate the information you need. 

Here's how:

1. On the left pane, select Reports.
  2. Search for Transaction Detail by Account report.
  3. At the top right, click Customize.
  4. Click the Rows/Columns drop-down then click Change columns.
  5. Put a check mark in the Class box.
  6. Click the Filter drop-down, select Transaction Type
  7. From the Transaction Type drop-down, select Invoice
  8. Click Run Report.

Capture1.PNG

For additional help, you can also check the articles below:

For additional help, feel free to reach out to our Customer Care support. They have the tools that can help you get this resolved quickly.

Here's how:

1. Go to https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contact.
  2. At the top right, select your QuickBooks version.
  3. Select a topic.
  4. Click on the Get Phone Number or Start a Message button.

That should take care of it. 

As always, I'm just a few clicks away if you have any other questions about generating a report for total invoice sales by state. I'll be happy to help you further.

Community Contributor *

Re: I need to create a report that shows total Invoice Sales broken down by State. Please help?

So, you need to assign Class to each line item, not the entire invoice at once like in the desktop version?

Highlighted
Community Contributor *

Each line item has to Be marked “class” not the whole invoice like in the desktop version?

QuickBooks Team

Hello there, Ladyaruba.

You can also assign a class for the entire invoice, you'll just have to change the settings.

Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon.
  2. Choose Account and Settings.
  3. Go to Advanced tab.
  4. Click the Pencil icon in the Categories row.
  5. Under Assign classes, click drop-down, then choose One to entire transaction.
  6. Click Save, then Done

Let me know if you need more help. I'm just a comment away.