cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Indiana now requires electronic filing of UC-1

2 questions on the changes for Indiana Department of Workforce Development.

1.  The UC-1 now has to be filed electronically.  E-file is not available in QuickBooks and I can't locate a report that dumps into Excel in the correct format.  I went to the help desk and was on chat for quite a while.  I was told I would get a call back the next day as they continued to research the issue.  This was last week and I have not heard back.  So I still don't know how QuickBooks is addressing this new issue.

2.  They are requiring a job code now.  I was able to go into the payroll set up and change all of my current employees with no issue.  Today I entered a new employee and It was requiring me to enter a $ amount for every $100 in payroll.  I have my overall company rate listed in my payroll set up, why is QuickBooks making me put a rate here as well.  If this is the case, will I have to change every single employee every year as my company rate changes?  Not a good set up if I do.

In the meantime I still haven't filed my UC-1.

10 Comments

Re: Indiana now requires electronic filing of UC-1

Welcome to the Community, ESS-Sally.

I appreciate you elaborating the situation. Let's work together to get the UC-1 Quarterly Contribution report and set up Indiana occupational codes for employees in QuickBooks Desktop.

Let's first update the tax table, so you'll be able to enter the occupational code in the Payroll Setup window. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Open QuickBooks.
  2. Go to Employees and choose Get Payroll Updates.
  3. Select the Download entire payroll update radio button.
  4. Click on the Update button.

When the download is complete, let's now enter the code:

1. Go to Employees and select Payroll Setup.
  2. Choose Employee Setup and select Employee List.
  3. In the Review our Employee list window, select an employee and then choose Edit.
  4. Select Next until the Setup occupational information window appears.
  5. Choose the appropriate Occupational Code and click on Finish.
  6. Repeat steps 3 through 5 for each applicable employee.

For further guidance, you can also check out this article: Set up occupational codes for employees.

On the other hand, you can locate the UC-1 Quarterly Contribution report in the File Forms tab. Let me show you how: 

1. Go to Employees.
  2. Select Payroll Center.
  3. Choose the File Forms tab.
  4. Then, locate the form and click on it to highlight.
  5. Click on the Create Form button.
  6. Select Last Calendar Quarter.

From there, you have the option to print the form or save it as a PDF file for your reference. Then, file the form electronically though the state website.

To help you with the process, I've attached some screenshots below.

P1.PNG

P2.PNG

P3.PNGI'm attaching an article about the tax compliance of the State of Indiana: Indiana Payroll Tax Compliance.

After following these steps, you should be able to enter occupational codes without requiring an amount and get the report you need. 

Please me know if you have further questions. I'm always glad to help. Take care and have a great day.

Experienced Member

Part one of my question.  I was able to make the changes you described as stated in my question.  My question is for entering a new employee, there is a new section that allows you to enter the code, however it requires a rate to be entered.  For now, I am simply entering the employee skipping that option, then going in through payroll set up.  This can't be what QuickBooks is wanting us to do.

The 2nd part of my question.  Indiana will not accept a .pdf file.  These are the only options for uploading.  

Please Choose a File to upload that is in the approved ICESA or .csv format. For instructions on creating your file, please click your preferred file format.

I am trying to find out how to save a file in one of these formats.  

Thanks

Sally

QuickBooks Team

Hi there, ESS-Sally.

I'd like to join this discussion and provide additional clarification regarding this matter.

After some research and testing, I can confirm that we don't require you to enter a rate when you set up your employee's occupational code. That said, do you mind providing a screenshot of how the Payroll Setup looks like when you enter the code? I'd like to take a closer look and verify why it's asking you for a rate while setting up.

Meanwhile, for your other question, there are a number of third-party applications that convert PDFs into a CSV file. I'd suggest shopping them around to have your file converted. You can also scan through the Community and look for other user's recommendation about file conversion.

Once your file is completely converted, you should be able to upload it to your state agencies' website and file the form electronically.

Keep me posted with the result, I'm determined to get this resolved for you. Thanks for reaching out, I look forward to hearing from you again.

Experienced Member

Indiana does NOT accept .pdf files.  They must be in ICESA.txt format or a .csv format.  How do I get the information into either of those formats from Quickbooks????

Experienced Member

My question is why can't Quickbooks provide us with this feature like they do other states?

Experienced Member

QuickBooks screen shot.PNGThere is the screen shot for the employee entry.

On the documents for uploading into the IN DWD system.  So QuickBooks will not be working on a fix for this?  I would expect QuickBooks to be able to provide me the necessary tools to file taxes directly without having to use a 3rd party company to covert anything.  I thought that is what the enhanced payroll service that I pay for provided.

Thanks for your time.

QuickBooks Team

Hey @sherignp and @ESS-Sally,

In QuickBooks Desktop, you can only save your forms as PDF files. Let me provide additional information.

The payroll service you're using allows you to e-file your forms straight from QuickBooks. However, the forms produced in QuickBooks ar ein PDF file format.

As mentioned by my colleague above, you may need to look for a third-party application to convert PDF files to CSV.

Don't worry, I'll pass this along to our engineers so they'd know your suggestions and comments. They are constantly looking for more ways to improve and provide you with the best product.

You may refer to this article for more information: E-File or Submit State Unemployment Filings.

Please leave a comment below if you have any other questions. I'll be around to assist you.

Experienced Member

I have been able to generate an Excel file report.

On the bottom of the Payroll--File Forms Page -- Tax Forms Worksheets.

It just isn't the correct format the DWD wants.

Quick.PNG

QuickBooks Team

Hello @ESS-Sally,

I'm glad that you've found a way to generate an excel file report. Let me provide some details.

As this is not the correct file format required by your state, I recommend searching for a third-party converter. This way, your downloaded file from QuickBooks Desktop will be converted to the correct file format required by your state.

Feel free to get back to me if you have any other concerns. 

Experienced Member

Support called me today.  Looks like I am going to be entering it manually this quarter but he said there will be a fix for this before we have to file the 2nd quarter.

Thanks

Sally