cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Network problem with sending Payroll taxes

I cannot submit my payroll taxes electronically. I get "Quickbooks encountered a network problem while processing your payment. The underlying connection is closed. An unexpected error occurred on send."

I have restarted Quickbooks and my pc. I have internet connectivity. I have been using QuickBooks Payroll for many years without issue. I am using the same Qucikbooks database. The only thing that has changed is this is installed on a new pc. I can update the Payroll forms, login to QuickBook Payroll from within the app. etc. It just can't send an electronic payment. Is there a special port that needs to be open for these tax payments to work? How do I debug this? 

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Network problem with sending Payroll taxes

Let's get those tax payments paid, Dpeabody.

This error could be caused by the .NET framework version that don't support TLSv1.2 or the restricted ciphers. We have a few steps to fix it. Before anything else, create a backup copy of your file to avoid data loss. 

Let's get to business and fix the error. Here's how:

1. Close QuickBooks.
  2. Run the TLS 1.2 Readiness tool. This will update your system to become TLS 1.2 compliant.
  3. Re-open QuickBooks, then try to e-pay.

If you're still getting the same error message after trying the steps above, please proceed with these steps:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Run QuickBooks as admin, then get updates when prompted.
  3. Run reboot.bat. This re-registers QuickBooks-related .DLL and .OCX files in windows.
  4. Repair QuickBooks. This will fix program-related errors. Here's how:
    1. Click the Start/Windows menu.
    2. Look for Control Panel.
    3. Choose Programs, then click Program Features.
    4. Look for QuickBooks, then click Uninstall/Change.
    5. In the QuickBooks Installation window, click Next, then choose the Repair radio button.
    6. Click Next, then choose Repair again.
    7. Click Finish, then restart your computer if prompted. 

You can keep us posted after trying the steps. We're just around to help out.