cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer **

QB incorrectly calculated Oregon WBF tax

Oregon has a WBF tax of 2.4 cents per hour worked (or 1.2 and 1.2 divided between employees and employers) or hours worked x .024. QB payroll incorrectly calculated this as 2.8% on our January payroll. 

I need to 1. know the best route to reimburse our employees for this over assessment and 2. make sure that this is remedied, going forward.

I have already downloaded the latest payroll update. 

Thanks!

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: QB incorrectly calculated Oregon WBF tax

Hello there, @PeggyOliviaSmith.

Thank you for providing us the steps you've tried. I can help you fix the incorrect calculation of Oregon WBF tax on your employees paychecks.

First, you have to run the Payroll Item Detail report to get the total amounts deducted for the Oregon WBF tax on your employee's paychecks. You have to take note and calculate the overpaid amount per employee.

Second, we'll create a negative adjustment specific to the payroll item:

1. Click Employees.
  2. Choose Payroll Taxes and Liabilites.
  3. Select Adjust Payroll Liabilities.
  4. Enter the date.
  5. Select the Employee radio-button and select the employee name.
  6. Select the payroll item. 
  7. Enter the negative amount.
  8. Click Next Adjustment to proceed to next employee.
  9. Repeat the same steps for all employees.

Third, you will create a non-taxable addition item to be added to your employees' future payroll.

Lastly, you have to double-check and update your employee's Oregon WBF tax rate to avoid this from happening again.

1. Click Employees.
  2. Go to Employee Center.
  3. Double-click the Employee's name.
  4. Go to the Payroll Info tab.
  5. Select the Taxes tab.
  6. Go to the Others tab.
  7. Select the item name and update the rate if needed.
  8. Click OK.

I know that that's quite a work, but that should correct your recordings in QuickBooks, PeggyOliviaSmith.

Please know that I'm still here to help you more if you have follow-up questions about payroll. Just add a comment below or mention my name. Have a good one and take care always!