cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Experienced Member
Solved

Sales Tax Liability Report - Total Sales and Taxes Collected Column issues

I pay our state sales taxes monthly.   I run the Sales Tax Liability Report for the month (March 2018).  In the Total Sales column, the total includes invoices that we were paid on in the month (March 2018) as well as invoices we billed on but not paid on in the month (March 2018).   However, it is not showing all invoices that we billed on in the month and not paid yet.  It is not showing invoices billed on that are new jobs as well as old jobs so it is not how it is set up.  This is also happening in the Tax Collected column.

Why is it mixed only having some invoices showing up but not all invoices billed on in the month? 

Can you help me to understand where the information is pulling from on for tax collected column?

Best answer 04-19-2018 08:54 AM

Accepted Solutions
ProAdvisor

Re: Sales Tax Liability Report - Total Sales and Taxes Collected Column issues

"If we are cash basis why would it pull more than just the invoices that were paid?"

It shouldn't include open invoices. Be sure to check the Sales Tax Liability report date is as of March 31, 2018. Also, Total Collected tax amount should also match with Pay Sales Tax screen (Vendors > Sales Tax > Pay Sales Tax).

Sales_Tax_Pay_Liability_Rpt.PNG

7 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Glad you're here in the Community, tara1.

I'm happy to share some information about the Sales Tax Liability report in QuickBooks.

If the Sales Tax Liability report is on Accrual basis, the amount that'll show on the Taxable Sales and Tax Collected column is the total amount of all the invoices that you've created whether it's paid or not. Conversely, if the report is on Cash basis, the amount that'll show on those two columns is the total amount of the invoices that you already paid.

You can customize the report to check the difference between the Accrual and Cash basis. Here's how:

1. Once you pull up the report, click on Customize Report at the upper left.

2. On the Display tab, select Accrual or Cash.

3. Click Ok.

Please leave a comment if you have further questions. I'll be here to help.

Experienced Member

Thank you for the information.  We are cash basis and a general contractor so what is showing up should be the invoices that we received payment on in March.  However, it has some invoices we billed and not yet paid, and invoices that were paid.  If we are cash basis why would it pull more than just the invoices that were paid?

ProAdvisor

"If we are cash basis why would it pull more than just the invoices that were paid?"

It shouldn't include open invoices. Be sure to check the Sales Tax Liability report date is as of March 31, 2018. Also, Total Collected tax amount should also match with Pay Sales Tax screen (Vendors > Sales Tax > Pay Sales Tax).

Sales_Tax_Pay_Liability_Rpt.PNG

I'm having the same issue here, but this is the first month it's acting up. This has never happened before. The sales tax liability report is pulling invoices that haven't been paid yet, but the report is run on cash basis. I can't explain why QB Enterprise is doing this starting in July 2018.

QuickBooks Team

Hello, @manufan1079

Thank you for joining the discussion here in the Community. Allow me to offer some guidance with your Sales Tax Liability report. If you've confirmed that your reports are set up properly, but wrong information is still showing, you may need to run a rebuild and a verify on your file.

These tools will comb through your data, fix any errors it can find, and notify you of anything that needs to be manually corrected. Here's how:

Run the Rebuild Data utility

• Go to the File menu, then select Utilities Rebuild Data.
  • On the QuickBooks Information window, select OK. Follow the prompts to save a backup.
  • Select OK when you see Rebuild has completed.

Run the Verify Data utility

• Go to the File menu, then select Utilities Verify Data.
  • If you see QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, select OK. You may continue using your company file.
  • If Verify finds an issue with your data, you will be prompted to Rebuild Now or View Errors. Select Close, then perform the steps below.
    Important: Continue with the following steps if you are comfortable reviewing the QBWin.log or the QuickBooks.log file. Otherwise, you may contact support for additional help.

Just in case you need it, I've included an article for troubleshooting data damage here. Once you've had a chance to try this out, be sure to let me know what your end results are. If you have any questions about this or anything else QuickBooks, feel free to reach out to me here in the Community.

Established Community Backer ***

If your invoices include Retention or any other Negative entry, the invoice is considered Partially Paid on cash basis reporting, and will show. Like this example:

$100 income item

$10 retention negative

= $90 owed

Sales reporting will show this as:

$10/$100 Paid = 10% paid.

If there is sales taxes, it would be like this:

$100 income

7% sales taxes as Liability = $7

$10 Retention

= $97 owed. Everything is 93% paid.

Sales taxes owed is $7 x 93%.

Highlighted
BRC
Established Community Backer ***

The tax collected on the report does not change based on the cash/accrual setting.  This is normal.

The last column, the amount of tax that is due/payable column, will change.