cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Experienced Member

Sales taxliabilty

HELP!!!

I sent our STLR to our accountant, she files the state and city taxes then we send off the check. I go to pay the sales tax  in quick books now my amounts do not match up. When customers pay invoices would this effect the STLR? Also we get a kickback on taxes for collecting ok, so how do I reflect the miscellaneous income when paying sales tax in quick books. 

1 Comment
QuickBooks Team

Re: Sales taxliabilty

Good to see you here in the QuickBooks Community, ChelseaLL2019.

I'm here to help share some information about the Sales Tax in QuickBooks Online (QBO). 

When the Sales Tax Liability Report (STLR) and the Pay Sales Tax window show different tax due amounts, they may not have the same date ranges and/or report basis. Make sure the dates match correctly. Also, possible that there are missing transactions or payments weren't recorded in QBO. 

You can run the Sales Tax liability report to review the tax you’ve collected and owed to the tax agency. Here's how: 

1. Click on the Taxes tab from the left menu.
  2. Click the drop-down arrow beside the Reports link at the upper right corner.
  3. Choose Tax Liability report.
  4. Set the date range and click Run report.
  5. Locate the item in question and click on the tax amount under the Tax column. This will bring you to the Transaction Report page.
  6. Click the Tax Amount link. This will bring you to the invoice page.
  7. Click on the Sales tax link.
  8. Click the Override this amount link in the Sales tax info section.
  9. Enter the rate, the right amount, and select a reason from the drop-down options.
  10. Click Confirm override and click Close.

When recording a sales tax payment, you have an option to manually enter the amount or change the tax amount calculated in a sales transaction. You can check this article for the detailed steps: Enter sales tax amount manually

Additionally, once the customer pay an invoice, it will automatically reflect to the Sales Tax Liability Report.

If you already set up the miscellaneous income on the Chart of Accounts, you can use it as an account when creating an invoice or sales receipt to reflect the amount when paying sales tax.

If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend to contact our QuickBooks Online Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account and do a screen-share. 

Here's how you can contact our customer support: 

1. Sign in to your QuickBooks Online company.
  2. Select Help (question mark icon) at the top right.
  3. Select Contact us to connect with a live support agent.

This will get you on the right track. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have additional questions about the Sales Tax. Wishing you and your business continued success.