cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Explorer *
Solved

Where do I tell Quickbooks 2009 to save downloaded templates to be able to open them in "manage templates"?

Where do I tell Quickbooks 2009 to save downloaded templates on my hard drive to be able to open them in "manage templates"?

I found c:\QuickBooks 2009\Components\Templates C:\ being my install address.  But when I go to save download templates there it does not show any current template files in that folder.

Best answer 12-04-2018 10:14 AM

Accepted Solutions
Established Community Backer ***

Re: Where do I tell Quickbooks 2009 to save downloaded templates to be able to open them in "manage templates"?

Do you use Word? Word document files are .doc.

The concept is the same for QB templates. They are .des files. You Save them in a folder on this computer, such as under My Documents, you can make a folder for Templates. You cannot use them like this; they are a Proprietary filetype for QB, and I think only Adobe Pro works with them, directly.

Now you can Import it into any QB data file you have open, and keep it safe on the computer, separately. If you only want to Import it to the open QB file, you do not also need to Save it separately.

2 Comments
QuickBooks Team

Re: Where do I tell Quickbooks 2009 to save downloaded templates to be able to open them in "mana...

I've got some steps we can try to save your templates, RadRick01.

Before we start, I'd like to let you know that QuickBooks 2009 has been discontinued. This means that the latest release updates are no longer supported in this version.

The templates showing in the Manage Templates sections are those that you've created inside QuickBooks. If you want to use your own template, you can import it and use it on your transactions.

Here's how:

1. Open the company file that you want to import the template into.
  2. Click Lists at the top, and then select Templates.
  3. From the Templates drop-down list, choose Import.
  4. Select the template that you want to import then select Open.
  5. Name the imported template. You can keep the original name or change it.
  6. Select OK. You should now see the imported template on the template list.

Please note that these steps may or may not work since the 2009 version has a different interface.

Feel free to get back to me if you have any follow-up questions.

Established Community Backer ***

Re: Where do I tell Quickbooks 2009 to save downloaded templates to be able to open them in "manage templates"?

Do you use Word? Word document files are .doc.

The concept is the same for QB templates. They are .des files. You Save them in a folder on this computer, such as under My Documents, you can make a folder for Templates. You cannot use them like this; they are a Proprietary filetype for QB, and I think only Adobe Pro works with them, directly.

Now you can Import it into any QB data file you have open, and keep it safe on the computer, separately. If you only want to Import it to the open QB file, you do not also need to Save it separately.