Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

How do I remove a vehicle from the drop down box in the miles section

Thank you

22 REPLIES 22
MaryLurleenM

Remove vehicle in miles

Hello there, SeanScammed,

Deleting a vehicle in QuickBooks Self-Employed is currently unavailable. You don't have to worry about it since mileage is what matters. Make sure to select the vehicle you used when tracking the trip.

I'll pass along this feedback to our product engineers.

Don't hesitate to post in the Community if you have any concerns.

misterb_uk
Level 2

Remove vehicle in miles

"You don't have to worry about it"??

Wrong ... it is a real pain because qbse keeps putting my old vehicle in as default ... so I have to manually edit the vehicle on every single entry :(
Why can't we just simply delete a vehicle that we no longer own?
please "pass along this feedback to our product engineers."

Please also mention that the qbse android app doenst play so nicely any more since android upgraded to [9] pie.

KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Remove vehicle in miles

Thanks for looping in, @misterb_uk.

I hear you and acknowledge the benefits of deleting old vehicles in QuickBooks Self-Employed. The option to do so is currently available only in an iOS operating system.

Check out this article for more information: About the Miles page and vehicle info settings.

For now, let me send follow-up feedback regarding this, also on your experience with the app. We’re hoping for the developers to implement it soon on the android version as well.

In the meantime, I recommend visiting our QuickBooks Blog to see the recent news, latest updates, and what the product team is working on. 

To learn more about vehicle management, take a look at this article: Vehicle Info settings and Miles page.

Leave a reply below if you have additional questions or need further assistance. I’m always here and ready to help. Take care!

bexraven
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

I would like to be able to remove old vehicles as we have changed ours and I know that it is the miles that matter but as the ability to select a vehicle is there then the ability to remove old ones needs to be there too. Please update this as my list just keeps growing and it is making it slower and slower to use. 

John C
QuickBooks Team

Remove vehicle in miles

Hi bexraven

Thank you for your feedback and we will raise a product enhancement request to our engineers.

misterb_uk
Level 2

Remove vehicle in miles

"we will raise a product enhancement request to our engineers" ... another one?  Good luck with that :)

You'll be telling us next that Quickbooks is going to fix its much-complained about and useless [Android] mileage tracker too  :)  

Why does Quickbooks treat Google Android users as second-class citizens - always the last to get Quickbooks updates/fixes. 
Google Android (75%) FAR outsells Apple (22%) in MOST countries in the world?

So many disappointed customers :(
So many missed opportunities for Quickbooks :(

misterb_uk
Level 2

Remove vehicle in miles

"The option to do so is currently available only in an iOS operating system."
Why?   
Android = 75% of Global market share versus Apple only 22% of Global market share.
Puzzling :( 

John C
QuickBooks Team

Remove vehicle in miles

Hi misterb_uk

We are unable to answer the question as we are front line support not engineers however  as stated in our previous post we will raise this issue to our engineers.

Jon64
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

7 months on and still not done? Pretty poor show from the developers, surely if an option is developed for 1 OS, it should be immidiately followed by updating the others?

I'm generally use Android, but currently I'm logged in on a Windows computer and still no option to delete a vehicle. Really regretting adding in a new vehicle now!

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Remove vehicle in miles

Hi Jon64, Thanks for contacting the Community. The deletion of vehicles is not available in the browser, what you can do in that section is filter by vehicle and it then will not show the other vehicle. We do stress that all feedback is passed on in regards to features that are requested and we will do so in this case as well.

DirkDiggler
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

I have the iOS version and I am not able to delete vehicle either? I just bought a new vehicle and it keeps reverting back to my old vehicle. It also deleted all my old odometer readings which I need for my old vehicle for this last tax year. 

Since I bought the vehicle in the middle of the tax year I have miles tracked for both vehicles (or so I thought) but the app will only allow me to input odometer readings for 1 vehicle and then an error pops up. 

dirt_mangurt
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

I also can't remove a vehicle in iOS.  Somehow a duplicate of my only vehicle was created and now it wants me to assign all my vehicle transactions to a vehicle, even though I really only have one vehicle.  Also, please add batch assigning because right now I'm selecting over a hundred transactions (parking, gas, tolls, repair, insurance) one at a time to assign to a vehicle.  It's incredibly stupid.

Adrian_A

Remove vehicle in miles

Hi dirt_mangurt,

I appreciate for adding your experience about deleting a vehicle in the QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE) version.

Let's resolve the vehicles that shows duplicates first. To start with, log into your QBSE account on an incognito window. There are times that an issue like this occurs when QuickBooks encounters unexpected browser-related crashes. To resolve it, try logging into your account on an incognito window. Here is a list of keyboard shortcuts to open one:

• For Google Chrome: Ctrl Shift N
  • For Mozilla Firefox: Ctrl Shift P
  • For Microsoft Edge: Ctrl Shift P
  • For Safari: Shift N

If the estimate saves, you can go back to a regular browser and clear its cache. Piled browser history can be the reason for some issues on the page. You may also switch to a different browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.

As for deleting vehicle, this option is still unavailable. I'd suggest sharing feedback to our developers team. The same thing goes to the feature that can assign batch transactions to a vehicle. Here's how to send one:

1. Click the Assistant button.
  2. Enter Send Feedback.
  3. Select Add feature.
  4. Enter a brief description of your suggestion.
  5. Continue with the on-screen instructions to send the feature suggestion.

To learn more about vehicle management, you can browse this article: Vehicle Info settings and Miles page

You can always post in the forum whenever you have other concerns with tracking miles.

BluntForceRam
Level 2

Remove vehicle in miles

Am I blind or almost 2 years later is there still no option to remove a vehicle?

QueenC

Remove vehicle in miles

Hi there, @BluntForceRam.

I can certainly see how much of a difference it would make for companies like yours if we could remove vehicles in QuickBooks Self-Employed (QBSE).  Like you, I am eagerly anticipating the availability of this feature.

You are being heard, and our product engineers are fully aware of this. I just want to let you know that they are currently collaborating to create features that will help their devoted users. Also, a new feature will go through extensive testing to ensure that it is fully functional before being implemented. No worries, once a new update will be released you'll be notified through email.

Also, if you haven't added yourself to the list of users who want the availability of this feature, I'd recommend doing so. You can follow the steps provided by my colleague on how to send feedback.

On the other hand, you may consider deactivating the vehicle you no longer use, as a workaround. Make sure to set a primary vehicle first before making the old one inactive so that the system automatically tags auto-tracked trips to it. 

To assign a primary vehicle:

1. Select Mileage or Trips.
  2. Click on Manage Vehicles.
  3. Select Add vehicle and enter the vehicle info or click on the vehicle if you've already added one.
  4. Toggle the Set as primary vehicle button.
  5. Hit Save.

To deactivate a vehicle:

1. Select the Mileage or Trips menu.
  2. Click on Manage Vehicles.
  3. Look for the vehicle you no longer use
  4. Click on Vehicle no longer in use.

Additionally, should you want to learn how to use the QBSE mobile app to automatically track your business miles, feel free to browse through this article: Automatically track mileage in QBSE.

You can always swing by here if you need additional assistance in managing your mileage in QBSE. Have a good one.

BluntForceRam
Level 2

Remove vehicle in miles

First of all, I appreciate the attempt at a workaround, except there is no (vehicle no longer in use option). As far as my concern about being heard, It's more of a feeling of, why was this feature not implemented from the get-go? It's a mileage tracker, not an asset tracker. Why add the ability to add something without also adding the ability to remove it? I understand vetting the feature to make sure it functions but almost 3 years with no change? honesty it would not be that big of a deal if it was not for the constant "your not tracking your miles" notification despite having everything disabled. The big one today was when importing everything to turbo tax it auto-generated a schedule c, again despite having 0 trips recorded and tracking disabled and it took a TurboTax expert 15 minutes to figure out how to remove it after I couldn't find it since everything on TurboTax's side showed no vehicle entered. We ended up having to enter it on their side and then delete it. Luckily they have a fancy trash can icon that deletes unwanted entries. 

BluntForceRam
Level 2

Remove vehicle in miles

Update: just checked back in with Intuit support. 4-28-23

After stating my request to remove a vehicle and an agent taking down my information, they disconnected, Twice! The third time was the charm though, although the news was nothing new. For some reason a lengthy explanation was needed to explain why I wanted to remove a vehicle I no longer own to prevent the TurboTax import mishap, it's still the same.

"Thank you for confirming. Please be informed that the option to remove a vehicle in QB Self-Employed is
currently not available as the product is working as designed. For now, we can only add vehicles. We do
understand that this feature is a great addition to our product if ever it was available. Having this feature
in Intuit QB Self-Employed would give more flexibility to it and would allow it to be more organized. We'll
surely consider this as our top priority and once we have it available in the system, an update will be
deployed right away"
"We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. However, as much as we would love to
delete the vehicle, we're unable to do so since we currently do not have that option in QB Self-Employed.
I'll make sure to submit a feedback to our Product Team for future updates of the product. "
"We do intend to add it to our service and we can notify you when it has been done."

Here's hoping that with 4 years down another 8 months is all they need to add a simple remove option.

Matt Owens
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

Is there any update here? In February, we were told that the product engineers are fully aware and currently collaborating to create features that will help users. That says nothing about this specific feature. 

The workaround solution you listed to deactivate the vehicle doesn't work for anyone who is no longer needing to track mileage at all. I don't have the vehicle in question anymore and don't need to add a new one. Miles aren't part of my business, but I'm forced to continue to deal with the old vehicle.

This is even more of an issue for anyone who uses TurboTax as the vehicle is pulled into your return each year and you have to jump through numerous unnecessary hoops just to remove that piece.

Please at least give us some hope besides the team evaluating features. This is beyond ridiculous after almost 4 years.

Ashleigh1
QuickBooks Team

Remove vehicle in miles

Hello Matt Owens, thanks for posting on this thread, So you can't delete the vehicle in the miles tab. However, you can make them inactive by going to  mileage tab> click the arrow button near add trip> click manage vehicles> click the vehicle you want to make inactive> click vehicle no longer in use. Please note that we can't make inactive if the vehicle is showing primary. 

Matt Owens
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

Hi Alshleigh1,

That's exactly the point. I don't have the vehicle anymore. I don't have a new vehicle that I'm tracking mileage on. I don't want the vehicle on the account as it causes TurboTax to create a schedule C that is a nightmare to get rid of.

If you read the messages that I and many others have posted here, this IS NOT a solution. Please pass the feedback along to your team as I think we're all getting tired of being given the same canned solution responses that don't work.

CLC73
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

I too have to agree that not having the ability to remove a vehicle is absolutely ridiculous and as others have pointed out, the "inactive" vehicle gets imported into out Turbo Tax when we go to file our return and it causes a nightmare since the imported data creates an unused vehicle in our return that isn't even used for business. We have the ability to delete other things in other parts of QBSE, how difficult can it be, after asking over and over for the ability to remove a vehicle? 

Being told the same generic responses of, "our engineers are looking into it and we'll update you" has gotten old as this has been an issue for a very long time now. We pay a monthly subscription for this service and it doesn't seem like the QB team really wants to listen and improve their product for us for useful things that will not only benefit us, but improve their product and make their users lives a lot easier when it comes tax time.

Maybe it's time to start looking at other products since Intuit/Quickbooks don't seem interested in listening!

mandu1031
Level 1

Remove vehicle in miles

agree and echo what everyone else said. it is absolutely ridiculous that this feature is still not implemented. I import my QBSE info to turbotax each year, and it's a real pain to carry over a vehicle into my annual taxes that NO LONGER EXISTS.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us