Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stop Auto-fill of Payee on Checks

How do I stop the Payee name from auto-filling on transactions?  These checks are to different payees but the system is auto-filling ALL of them with the same Payee name.qb txns autofill.png

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi medrozo,

Thank you for contacting community.

On the banking screen it is not possible to change the auto-filled Payee. However, the more transactions you add the more the system will start to remember the categories used or spent/received amounts and you will start to notice the payee names will change to be more accurate.

Otherwise, they will have to be changed manually when you review each transaction.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. :)

Stonecreek
Level 1

This isn't really a good answer. This issue the number one source of errors in our bookkeeping business. It's ridiculous that there's no way to exclude checks from being auto classified.

And by the way - Quickbooks Online NEVER gets better at classifying checks. It's impossible. So why hasn't the coding been adjusted to allow us to set a rule to never classify like in Quickbooks Desktop?

zzcomp2017
Level 1

I spend a lot of time each week removing check and deposit auto-fill payees!  QB automatically uses one single customer account name and applies all bank deposits regardless of the deposit type to this customer name.  I have contacted support and they say that there isn't any way to stop this!!

I have been using QB online for many months and QB hasn't learned it yet!  How long does it need?

Ginko
Level 1

Hi CarlyL, 

I've got the same problem so I try to manually change it every time. I want to leave the payee blank so I delete the auto-filled payee. However, this does not work, and when I check the transaction, the deposits are still assigned to that particular customer.

Is there any way to "truly" leave payee blank?

Thank you!

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi Ginko.

Unfortunately there wouldn't a way to do this on a permanent default basis.

sdr
Level 1

This really is a big nuisance and can be confusing.  Please fix this.

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi SDR.

I will be sure to submit this as feedback to our Development team so we can hopefully get this resolved in an update.

av_123
Level 1

Please, for the love of god, make the product work better BEFORE "innovating" any more...

AlcaeusF

Welcome to the Intuit Community, av_123.

With regards to having an option to stop the Payee name from auto-filling on transactions, I couldn't agree more and I believe the more added flexibility the product has the more it will appeal to the wider audience. I have added this request to our own internal product enhancement list, which we send directly to our product development team.

You can also leave your feedback on our Feedback Forum: http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/

If you need any assistance concerning QuickBooks Online, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be here to help.

ltalavera
Level 1

Yes, this is so disruptive and prone to errors. 

JamesC
QuickBooks Team

Hi Italavera, please be sure to add your feedback on our Feedback Forum: http://feedback.qbo.intuit.com/ - Thanks,

Need to get in touch?

Contact us