Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
kdf
Level 2

placing your in-going & outgoing into Categories self employed

How can i add a new category to place what i do for a living in the correct order, the same question keeps coming up and the same answer -  

Here’s how to add a new category:

1. Go to the Gear icon.
  2. Choose List.
  3. Select All Lists.
  4. Choose Product Categories.
  5. Click New Category.
  6. Hit Save.

there isn't anything like this on my system / page / accounts, can someone enlighten me on what is the correct way to change categories

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Solved
Best answer February 28, 2019

Accepted Solutions
EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello kdf

The instruction in that list is not for the UK Self-Employed.

The UK Self- Employed product does not have the ability to set up your own categories, you need to use the existing ones because the categories are linked to the Self Assessment summary and are set up to then push to the correct section(allowable/ disallowable)

More information on the categories can be found here

Any questions let us know

Thanks

Emma

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hello kdf

The instruction in that list is not for the UK Self-Employed.

The UK Self- Employed product does not have the ability to set up your own categories, you need to use the existing ones because the categories are linked to the Self Assessment summary and are set up to then push to the correct section(allowable/ disallowable)

More information on the categories can be found here

Any questions let us know

Thanks

Emma

kdf
Level 2

Hi,

Thank you for your reply,

I think it's still a bit unfair that this service isn't provided to the UK-Self Employed - the categories that are given still doesn't point me in the right direction where i can place my Business progresses and categorise my monies into the correct section, i think this services need to be explained into more details as a landscape gardener most the the categories are for an office worker, i think more needs to be added or at least let whoever has this software have a choice to where they put the income and outgoings too.

MaryLurleenM

Hello, kdf,

We follow the simplified expenses if you're self-employed from HMRC: https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-tax-simplified-expenses/working-from-home. You can also check this: https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed.

We calculate your self-employment taxes based on your business income, spending, allowable expenses and the information you have set up in your Tax Profile.

I'll go ahead and send feedback to our product engineers about your suggestion.

Please feel free to leave a comment below if you need any further assistance.

kdf
Level 2

hi, 

Thank you for your reply,

please could you also help me with another problem i'm having its that i cannot sync my bank with QB all i keep getting is the following:-

That wasn't quite right. Try again.

Your bank will send you a new code. (187)

please can you advise what i can do?

Thank you

Need to get in touch?

Contact us