cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
ecomergy
Level 1

Can I report VAT for three companies that are in a HMRC approved "VAT Group". Each is a 'client' in QB Accountant. Can QB do this? If so, how is this MTD set-up?

Solved
Best answer September 27, 2023

Accepted Solutions
emmam6

Can I report VAT for three companies that are in a HMRC approved "VAT Group". Each is a 'client' in QB Accountant. Can QB do this? If so, how is this MTD set-up?

Hello Community Users, we just wanted to pop in and add some clarification to this thread. QuickBooks Online does not support VAT Groups.  You can submit a Group scheme return using the bridging tool. The bridging tool is within QuickBooks VAT section. This is the tool you can use to submit a return using a spreadsheet. We'd recommend consulting with an accountant for advice on how things should appear on the spreadsheet.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Welcome to the Intuit Community, ecomergy.

Thanks for being part of the QuickBooks family. Helping out setting up a VAT group for your companies is my priority.

Just to clarify, does each business have a different Companies House Registration Number? If yes, you’ll have to set them up separately in your QBOA.

To accomplish this task, make sure that your client has invited you to their accounts. If you’ve already accepted the invitation, you can now link the client to your agent services account.

Here’s how:

1. In your browser, enter this link: https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/agent-mapping/sign-in-required.
  2. Click on the Sign in link.
  3. On the Sign in using Government Gateway page, enter the Gateway User ID and Password, then click Sign in.
  4. On the Agent Services homepage, click Allow this account to access existing client relationships.
  5. Choose Start now.
  6. Enter the old Government Gateway credentials you used to submit VAT on behalf of your client.
  7. Select Sign in.
  8. Enter your new agent services account number and agent firm’s Self-Assessment, Partnership or Corporation Tax Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).
  9. Click Connect.

Next, you'll have to sign up your client for MTD and then set them up in QuickBooks. For the step by step process, follow the steps in this article and go directly to Step 2.

However, if the business is only using one CRN, location tracking feature can monitor it and submit the return as a group. To turn on the option.

1. Go to the Gear icon, then select Account and Settings.
  2. Choose Advanced on the left panel.
  3. Click on the Pencil icon for Categories, and check the box to Track locations.
  4. Click on Save and Done.

After completing this process, you'll see a drop-down menu for Location on your forms. Make sure to select the correct one so it will be properly tracked in your account.

For more in-depth information about this feature, check out this article: Use location tracking.

These steps should get you on the right path.

Let me know with the results or if you need further assistance with these steps by leaving me a comment. I'll jump right back in to help.

emmam6

Hello Community Users, we just wanted to pop in and add some clarification to this thread. QuickBooks Online does not support VAT Groups.  You can submit a Group scheme return using the bridging tool. The bridging tool is within QuickBooks VAT section. This is the tool you can use to submit a return using a spreadsheet. We'd recommend consulting with an accountant for advice on how things should appear on the spreadsheet.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us