cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solved

How can I set up different dated for vat return?

Hi, We have finally got VAT certificate. Our effective date of registration is 1st August 2017, date of certificate is 7th December 2017. HMRC set up our vat return period end date 31st Dec 2017, and then returns quarterly in March, June, Sep. 

That means I need to submit our first vat return including five months (Aug...Dec).

How do I need to set up the correct period of time in QB to fit in the right time slot? The start in my QB is 1st Aug quarterly. 

Thank you

Best answer 02-06-2019 07:12 PM

Accepted Solutions
QuickBooks Team

Hi info, Thanks for reaching out to our Community. If...

Hi info,

Thanks for reaching out to our Community.

If you need to have your VAT returns in March, June and September, you will need to set up your VAT so that the Start of current VAT period is showing as October. This will set up the quarters so that you can file in December, March, June and September going forwards.

When you then go to the Submit Return for your first filing within QuickBooks Online, you will be able change the Start Date of the filing period for this filing only. This will allow you to have the five month filing from 01/08/2017 - 31/12/2017 as required.

Please note, this extending of the date range can only be done on the very first filing within QuickBooks Online. Once you file your first return, the start date of subsequent filings will be set as the day after your previous filing.

Going forwards, QuickBooks will then automatically select the quarter dates based on the filing previously and the settings entered during VAT set up.

Let me know if you have any queries. Or, if you'd like to go through this over the phone, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours. 

9 REPLIES 9
QuickBooks Team

Hi info, Thanks for reaching out to our Community. If...

Hi info,

Thanks for reaching out to our Community.

If you need to have your VAT returns in March, June and September, you will need to set up your VAT so that the Start of current VAT period is showing as October. This will set up the quarters so that you can file in December, March, June and September going forwards.

When you then go to the Submit Return for your first filing within QuickBooks Online, you will be able change the Start Date of the filing period for this filing only. This will allow you to have the five month filing from 01/08/2017 - 31/12/2017 as required.

Please note, this extending of the date range can only be done on the very first filing within QuickBooks Online. Once you file your first return, the start date of subsequent filings will be set as the day after your previous filing.

Going forwards, QuickBooks will then automatically select the quarter dates based on the filing previously and the settings entered during VAT set up.

Let me know if you have any queries. Or, if you'd like to go through this over the phone, you can call our dedicated team who will be happy to assist you. Our contact details can be found here along with our opening hours. 

Super Contributor **

Don't forget that you can still claim VAT input tax for g...

Don't forget that you can still claim VAT input tax for goods purchased upto 4 years before registration and for services purchased upto 6 months before registration as detailed in this HMRC article. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.gov.uk/vat-registration/purchases-made-before-registration">https://www.gov.uk/vat-regis...>
Not applicable

This is pretty useless -- desktop Quickbooks was so much...

This is pretty useless -- desktop Quickbooks was so much more flexible. I changed my VAT reporting period recently and that resulted in a 4-month period, but since my business is already running I've already run my first return and QB can't handle this? Quickbooks used to be such a good product on the desktop. Why does Intuit keep making it dumber and dumber?
Community Contributor *

Re: Hi info, Thanks for reaching out to our Community. If...

Hi, I am trying to follow this steps for my first ever vat filing but the dates seems like they cannot be changed . When I click submit return, the prepare VAT windows appears and the start and end date are not changeable. I also need to include purchases made 6 months before registration

Thanks

Mary

QuickBooks Team

Hello Mary,

What period do you need to submit, and what dates are showing for the return?

Thanks,

Talia

Community Contributor *

Hi Talia, my first VAT period is from 1 Nov 2018  to 31 January 2019 and this is what the "prepare VAT" windows shows, which is correct. 

But as it is our first ever VAT return, we should be allowed to enter VAT expenses paid prior registration up to 6 months for services and up to 4 years for goods.  I have changed my expense records from 6 months ago to have the correct VAT but I am unable to add them as I can not change the dates of my first VAT return to be from 1 May 2018 to  31 January 2019.

on the "prepare VAT" windows (when you press summit return), the dates are grayed out and cannot be modified.

After this, I shall return in a three monthly basis only.

Best 

Mary

QuickBooks Team

Hello Mary,

Would you please be able to select 'submit return' on your open return and let me know if the transactions you've applied VAT codes to are showing as exceptions?

Thanks,

Talia

Community Contributor *

Hi, thanks for your reply, they are not showing as exception. Here is a screenshot of the windows that pops up after pressing submit return. As you can see the dates can not be modified and the amounts (that I covered) are the ones from the first 3 months of my first VAT period.

photo vat prepare.png

QuickBooks Team

Hi MaryGa

If the beginning date is greyed out it indicates that you have already marked a previous period as filed. We would be grateful if you can provide us of a screen shot of when you select the taxes option.