cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Provision of services to businesses outside the EU. How to include in box 6 of the VAT return

The Government guidance clearly expects sales to a US business customer for which no VAT is due to be included in box 6 of the VAT return.  See extract below.  The Quickbooks guidance suggests I use No VAT for sales outside the EU.  If I do this, my sales to US customers will be excluded from box 6.  How do I get around this? Do I need to create a new VAT code  - Outside scope which feeds into box 6? I dont want to manually amend each quarter....

Thanks in advance for any advice

Box 6 total value of sales and all other outputs excluding any VAT

Show the total value of all your business sales and other specific outputs but leave out any VAT. Some examples are:

• zero rate, reduced rate and exempt supplies
  • fuel scale charges (see Motoring expenses (VAT Notice 700/64))
  • exports
  • supplies to other EU member states (that is any figure entered in box 8)
  • supplies of installed or assembled goods in the UK where the overseas supplier registers for VAT here
  • distance sales to the UK which are above the UK distance selling threshold or, if below the threshold the overseas supplier opts to register for VAT in the UK
  • reverse charge transactions (see paragraph 4.6)
  • supplies which are outside the scope of UK VAT as described in Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A)
  • deposits that an invoice has been issued for
1 REPLY 1
QuickBooks Team

Re: Provision of services to businesses outside the EU. How to include in box 6 of the VAT return

Hello AndreaC2

Currently QuickBooks does not have an out of scope code and instead has the NO VAT which does not hit the return at all. Do you just need to hit the net sale to box 6 and no other boxes?You have the option of using the Exempt code which will post the net sale to box 6 or yes you could create a custom code.

Any further questions let us know

Emma