Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
JackS

QuickBooks and Making Tax Digital (MTD)

About Making Tax Digital

Making Tax Digital – or MTD as it’s often called – is the UK’s biggest tax shake-up in a generation. Making Tax Digital is HMRC’s plan to bring UK tax into the digital age, beginning in April 2019. In a nutshell, every UK business will be affected. Here’s what will change:

• All business-related transactions will have to be recorded digitally using MTD-compliant software or apps.
  • Tax returns will have to be submitted to HMRC in a digital, MTD-compliant way.

If you’d like to learn more about MTD then read on or check out the QuickBooks MTD hub.

Which businesses are affected

Businesses with an annual turnover above the VAT threshold (currently £85,000) will be required to keep their records digitally and file VAT returns online on a quarterly basis. Businesses who are currently exempt from having to file VAT returns online will also be exempt from MTD until otherwise notified by HMRC. 

MTD.JPG

MTD timelines

Businesses with a turnover above the VAT threshold need to comply by April 2019. Businesses below the VAT threshold can comply on a voluntary basis until otherwise notified by HMRC.

Comply with MTD using QuickBooks

We've published an additional  FAQ page for everything MTD. 

29 REPLIES 29
Jess W
Intuit

Awesome post, @JackS!

CliveT
Level 2

Will the enhancements include facility for those of us who prepare accounts to 5th April?  Useful especially for landlords. 

JackS

Hi @CliveT, thanks for posting in your question.

May I ask which product you're using out of QuickBooks Online, self-employed or Accountant? 

CliveT
Level 2

JackS

It's Online.

CliveT

JackS

Hi @CliveT, this isn't something we've announced that'll necessarily become a reality, however, it's certainly something we can take away as feedback especially if it's a benefiting feature.  QuickBooks allows users to track, calculate, report and even submit online. It also allows secure communication between accountant and client within the software. 

You can read more about our approach on MTD as well as being able to view our free guides

Jess W
Intuit

Hi, @CliveT!

Welcome to the UK QB Community, great to have you here. Smiley Very Happy

I would love to know more about what you do, business owner/self-employed? Smiley Happy

QB Community Home          Talk About Your Business 

Find Inspiration     

CliveT
Level 2

Thanks for that welcome. Not really a business - a let property with rental income and a few investments, but just complicated enough to merit keeping electronically. A lot of people in my position like spreadsheets and of course that approach is cheaper and gives one an apparent  degree of freedom in design, but it can get big and the risk of undetected error is much higher than with a commercial product like QuickBooks. 

JackS

Hey @CliveT, we've recently announced bridging software for Making Tax Digital that'll  make it a lot more straightforward for excel users. This bridging software would fix the spreadsheet conundrum by digitally linking a spreadsheet to HMRC via an MTD-ready software product.

When HMRC talks about bridging software, this is more than likely to come in the form of an add-in widget that you bolt onto a spreadsheet to transfer the data without rekeying.

You can read more about the bridging software here

klarkle82
Level 2

Since this post the QuickBooks team have released an update regarding the development of Making Tax Digital in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. 

Thanks

Keith

(QuickBooks UK Team)

AM24
Level 1

Please be aware that Quickbooks Online will not be compliant for MTD for those

on the Flat Rate Scheme. Please make your clients aware as Intuit seem unwilling to do so.

They have no current plans (as at 14/11/2018) to include those on the Flat Rate Scheme within their MTD program.

Responses from Intuit most welcome to this rather unbelievable situation

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hi AM24

Making Tax Digital begins in April 2019 and Quickbooks will be complaint with this across the board including Flat Rate Scheme. Currently there is testing that has to be completed to make sure the FRS VAT filing will pull across correctly to HMRC and this is why there has been a delay in adding this option in the product. It will be in place before it is a legal requirement however, rest assured

Kind regards

Emma

AM24
Level 1

Hi Emma. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, your own development team have replied differently. 

"

With regard to including FRS submission in QuickBooks for MTD , it is not currently included on the beta test. I cannot give you any guarantees that this will be added in a future release but I will add my recommendations to it. I will forward this feedback to our Product Development Team so they can work on it and so this will be added in the future release. But I cannot I cannot give you any guarantees that this will be added in a future release but I will add my recommendations to it.

"

So no promise that FRS will be included by April 2019

EmmaM
QuickBooks Team

Hi AM24

Who is it in Intuit that has told you FRS and filing direct to HMRC in Quickbooks will not be complaint by April next year for making tax digital? The testing i mentioned for FRS filing is not the beta test which some accountants and small business companies are currently doing, it is by our engineers in regards to updating the product to make it ready.

I can not see in the quote you mentioned anywhere where they have said it will not be in place by April 2019.It is not in the beta testing because it needs more work at the moment. It is a legal requirement for it to be by that date(April 2019) but as I am sure you are aware companies and software providers alike have until that date to be complaint

Kind regards

Emma

AM24
Level 1

Hi Emma

It is Zerry at [email address removed]

The answer was in reply to a question i made about whether QBO will be able to file directly to HMRC in an MTD compliant fashion (currently you have to go on to the HMRC site and retype the data in).

Zerrys response specifically states :

"But I cannot I cannot give you any guarantees that this will be added in a future release but I will add my recommendations to it. "

Hope that helps

Andy

AM24
Level 1

Emma, the email has been taken out - but it is the one for QBO Care Support

- ironically

KarenZ
Level 1

Hi Jack,

Apologies if this is a silly question!

I'm using QB Self-employed for the first time and loving it but I can't find any VAT related submission information on that platform.

Will I need to change to another platform in order to submit my VAT return or is there an add-on that I can purchase?

Thanks

Karen

Kristine Mae

Hello there, KarenZ.

When you're using QuickBooks Self-Employed, you're unable to file the VAT return. Only QuickBooks Online Essentials and Plus versions can calculate and file it.

You can always visit our website for more information: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/uk/vat-software/.

You can always post in the Community if you have other concerns. Have a good day! 

Platinum Online Pro
Level 2

Can you help me find pricing for the QuickBooks bridging solutions? Thanks

JamesC
QuickBooks Team

Hi Michaelchester,

You only need an active subscription to use our Bridging Solutions, currently, there are no extra charges for this feature.

Thanks,

markodyssey
Level 1

ok Im new to QB , just spent an age bringing in old outstanding  , got hang of issuing new , even ran a vat return which I then spent hours reconciling to my old method (steam ) , and all correlated , naively pressed the button to submit only to find YOU DO NOT SUPPORT FPS RETURNS , we are 3 weeks away and im fekked ! sorry the frustration has got to me , Ive tried speaking to you help staff who just say we dont do that , sorry .

Im at a loss what to do , I can do my steam powered return if I do it early , but thats the last one , before its obligatory . 

reading all the above would seem comforting whilst the reality is far from it . 

Im a small company traded over 20 years , devoted total 4hrs a year doing my calcs and returns until now and getting no where after investing days into a new worthless system . 

ps im using online which my accountant registered me into , 

AldrinS
QuickBooks Team

Greetings, markodyssey.

Thanks for sharing your feedback regarding FPS submission. I"m here to provide some clarification regarding this matter.

QuickBooks Online Payroll does support FPS returns to HMRC. You just need to make sure that your Government Gateway credentials have been activated to enable QuickBooks to submit your FPS returns. For additional insight about this, I recommend following this article: Submit FPS to HMRC in QuickBooks Online Payroll (UK)

However, if you're using PaySuite, then you may want to check out this article instead: Submit FPS to HMRC in PaySuite

Please keep in touch if you have further questions about this. I've always got your back.

Mhutch
Level 1

Hi, we are a small business that currently use a till software that doesn't talk to quickbooks but i was advised to get this by my accountant.  so i have two weeks to be compliant and have no idea what I'm doing? ive been told i can use the bridging software to simply input the boxes as at the moment i work everything out using spreadsheets but i honestly don't see the point in having to pay to do this when i could do this before by just going online and submitting?  am i the only one that finds this to be crazy?

Mhutch
Level 1

can i ask what app to use to upload receipts? i have been told im not fully compliant if im not recording each and every receipt on quickbooks but im going to try and use the bridging software to submit my vat returns so not sure if this is right?

TaliaI
QuickBooks Team

Hello Mhutch,

That is correct, you can use our bridging tool to submit a spreadsheet of your box 1-9 figures. Unfortunately HMRC are closing down the option to submit through their site from April 1st. 

You would need to check this with HMRC, however if you do need to, you would get the QuickBooks Online Accounting & Invoicing app. This will allow you to take images of receipts and attach to transactions - of course as you are using the bridging software, you will not be entering your transactions so again I would double check this.

Thanks,

Talia

Need to get in touch?

Contact us