Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Everything you need to know about banking in QuickBooks Online - Discover more
Anonymous
Not applicable

VAT filing online suddenly stopped working

Today I tried to file my VAT return online, but for the first time was unable to do so.

All I'm getting now is a dialogue box saying:

"Authentication failure. The supplied user credentials failed validation for the requested service."

All credentials are confirmed as correct. It's just stopped working.

I'm using Quickbooks Premier 2015, and there has been a suggestion that when Intuit ceases to provide product support for a particular version under their sunset policy, the online VAT filing will cease to work.

But surely this can't be right.  The software is the same software, and the online filing doesn't go through Intuit's servers; it simply connects directly with HMRC. Hence the VAT filing should continue to work regardless of Intuit's lack of product support.

Furthermore, while Intuit's sunset policy pages do indicate that this version won't support the new 'Making Tax Digital' protocols from April 2019 onwards, there is no indication that the current filing system should cease to work at any time before then.

Please can somebody explain what might be going on here as a matter of urgency? Any suggestions as to how this problem can be resolved so that we can continue to file our VAT returns online would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did some more digging and found what I believe to be the answer.

HMRC updated their VAT returns platform in February this year. This doesn't affect filing via the HMRC website, but those of us that submit our VAT returns via our accounting software will need to ensure the software is compatible with the new platform. This will require an update to to our software, but products that are no longer supported will obviously no longer be receiving  updates, so in this case the VAT filing routine will no longer function. For further info on the HMRC change see:

https://www.burgesshodgson.co.uk/hmrc-changing-vat-portal/

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem using QB 2010. What you need to do is:

1. Login to HMRC https://www.tax.service.gov.uk - (your govement gateway business account)

2.  Navigate to VAT

3. Click on file a return.

4. Enter details from your QB VAT "file a report form".

5. Follow the rest of instruction on HMRC site.

Note. Don't forget to download a copy of the submision for your records.

Hope this helps.

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi Jonah.

Thanks for contacting the Community. I completely understand that this error would be frustrating especially when you are just trying to file her VAT through your QuickBooks product. I'm going to get this looked into now.

In terms of Intuits Sunset policy, we will only be able to provide active support for the last 3 years worth of products which unfortunately would no longer include the 2015 version of the Desktop product which may cause problems with the ability to submit VAT returns from within the product. Though I will get this raised up with our Desktop Team to try and find out what is going on.

As @Anonymous mentions above, you would be able to make a direct submission through HMRCs website which I would recommend.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with and I will do what I can.

acorn
Level 1

Hi AshH

What is the current status on this?

Has QB stopped allowing VAT filing as 2015 Pro is a sunset version?

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi acorn.

I've just done a check on this for you and while the 2015 version will be sunset, you still shouldn't have problems in filing the VAT from within the product.

Are you still getting the error now? If so would you be able to confirm for me exactly what the error says when you trying to make a VAT submission from within the product?

acorn
Level 1

Hi AshH

The message was the same as Jonah got - Authentication failure. The supplied user credentials failed validation for the requested service.

I had to file online with HMRC, so can't recreate message now.

However, there is this -

HMRC have recently confirmed that from 14 February 2018 the current platform used to submit VAT Returns electronically, the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) will be decommissioned and replaced with a new platform.

From that date, all electronic Returns must be submitted via the new platform.

Businesses that manually enter VAT Returns by logging into HMRC’s website using a Government Gateway ID and password will not be affected, albeit the login pages may look a bit differently and we suspect the additional security measure of requiring a code to be sent to a mobile will be mandatory.  Those businesses that submit VAT Returns via their accounting software will need to ensure the software is compatible with the new platform. This may require businesses to apply or purchase an upgrade to maintain the ability to submit Returns electronically.

Is it possible QB is sending to the old URL?  If so, how do you change this (I had to manually change on my payroll software).

Regards

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi Acorn.

I'm going to get this looked into for you. It may be that we are planning on update release for the desktop product that would allow submissions to be made even in the new frame. I would recommend giving our Desktop team a call on 0808 168 9535. They should be able to give you some more information.

acorn
Level 1

Hi AshH

Thank you.  At this stage, there's no point in my contacting Desktop team as I don't have a support contract.

I note that Sunset transfer not due until mid May, but it seems to say that only stops Making Tax Digital service, not VAT filing.

I can't see anywhere in the product for HMRC URL, so this must be an online connection when I file from the desktop, unless you know otherwise.

It does seem bad to stop this, to force an update or going direct to HMRC VAT Portal.

AshH
QuickBooks Team

Hi Acorn

There was an update to QuickBooks desktop in February to facilitate the change in URL to HMRC's gateway. If you are on the latest release of QuickBooks desktop 2015 (Release 17) the URL changes will have been taken into account, and you should be able to file VAT online through QuickBooks

With regards the sun setting, you are correct; support for QuickBooks 2015 will end on the 31.05.2018; However, even after  this occurs and maintenance releases for QuickBooks 2015 cease, you will still be able to Efile VAT in QuickBooks 2015. All of that being said, many customers are experiencing this issue and as such it has been raised for investigation by our engineering team. They are working on a fix for this as we speak.  In the meantime, we would recommend logging into the HMRC portal directly to file your VAT return whilst selecting 'Paper filing' as your filing option when marking VAT filed in QuickBooks desktop.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us