cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

What is the difference between VAT control and vat suspense?

5 REPLIES 5
Frequent Contributor **

Vat control is where all the transactions post the vat el...

Vat control is where all the transactions post the vat element and when you file vat the payment or refund is posted to vat suspense, from where it is cleared by payment or refund.

Not applicable

Hi  So I am struugling to understand the whole vat susp...

Hi 

So I am struugling to understand the whole vat suspense control thing?

I have a payment recorded in banking to hmrc when I want to put it into quickbooks what category do I select do describe this payment?

Cheers

Lee Finley

Smile plumbing

Frequent Contributor **

That payment to hmrc was it generated by file vat or did...

That payment to hmrc was it generated by file vat or did you just write cheque.

It also depends on if you have reconciled that bank account yet?

Re: That payment to hmrc was it generated by file vat or did...

Hi gordon,

i am new at using quick books

i have a query like the person above regarding VAT suspense

I am sure that the VAT filer has produce the suspense account,  I have reconciled but I need to clear my suspense account out.

My payment have been made to VAT paid 

can you please let me know how to clear my suspense account out please

TIA

QuickBooks Team

Re: That payment to hmrc was it generated by file vat or did...

Hi Sharron

If you are using the online product any transaction that you post VAT codes against will post to the VAT control account. When you mark as filed in the taxes section the transactions in the control account which are within the date range that you have filed will be transferred to the VAT suspense account.

When you then pay HMRC the amount that was due for the period you filed you will then record payment in the taxes section, confirm the bank that the payment was made from, select the date that the amount was debited from your bank account and then confirm the amount and save.

The amount will then be debited from the suspense account and credit your bank account.

If you have done the above and there are remaining amounts in the suspense account they may relate to any amounts that have not been paid (record payment).