Karsty
Level 4

Finding inspiration

@Jess W

After acquiring a stinker of a cold I have only managed 3 hours this week, I don't do well working through streaming eyes and nose, and driving with a completely fuzzy head is not my most favourite thing to do!

And rain tomorrow.... Well, that's ok, a rainy day is a good day for a gardener to have a cold.

How did I make my hobby into a job? I did it gradually. My career kind of grew by itself. I've always grown plants, and after doing some shabby jobs for a while after school/college I worked at a garden centre, then spent a few years messing around and finally worked again at a garden centre. From there I was poached by a landscape gardener to do his garden maintenance, and after about 1½ years I'd gained the confidence to strike out on my own. I had to be self-employed to work for the landscaper anyway, so I was halfway there.

I inherited some of his customers, and advertised with Thompson Local to keep a flow of customers as needed. Since then I've advertised also with leaflets, and at the moment with yell.com. I've also got some magnetic signs on order for my van so I can target certain areas where I work.

Not very complex I'm afraid, but that's about it in a nutshell. The main thing is, be a genuine and honest worker, don't ever imagine that anything less than that will give you ongoing success and a good reputation.