EmilyCowan
Level 7

Talk about your business

@CoherentCreativ wrote:

So… Brand Authenticity… It’s one area where being a small business is a definite advantage over a huge monolithic one. The phrase “small enough to care, big enough to cope” springs to mind straight away!

Love this! I do believe that branding is something that many small businesses think is something only the "big guys" do.

@Thehvacguys@TimThePainter, both of you have small businesses (HVAC repair & installation and commercial & residential painting services, respectively) that rely on strong reputations for quality and reliability. Apart from word-of-mouth referrals, how do you establish that reputation while differentiating yourself from your competitors? How conscious are you of your "brand" in the local marketplace?

@Jennie, @cruberti, your businesses deal with sustainability and environmentally preferable materials. Do you think that businesses in this space face a special challenge in terms of brand authenticity? Many consumers aren't very clear on their "eco-terminology." Is it harder to stay on message with your specific business story when you have to provide some general education at the same time?

**@CoherentCreativI especially love your anecdotes about the pub and the Chinese restaurant. "This is my story and I'm sticking with it" may be a risky tactic if your story is not so warm and fuzzy, but people will respect you for it - and may even seek you out for novelty's sake. Have you ever had a client (large or small) that pursued this brand strategy? Do tell!

In January I traveled to Portland, OR, to meet with the rest of my team here at QB Community, and apparently the entire city is known for its rather abrupt service. I was actually disappointed when I left and no baristas had been actively rude to me :smileylol: