lynda
Community Champion

Talk about your business

Hello @rooftop:

This is a really big question, so I will try to tell you what I would do now, instead of how I built my practice 20 years ago, as it would not be applicable today.  

It is great that you have selected a niche.  Since your particular niche is real estate and you use desktop qb already, I would stay with that since you are familiar.   I know from being part of the first International Intuit Advisory Council, that there are numerous differences between the US vs Canadian versions of QB, so my advice might not be spot on.  I would do the following:

1. Learn QB and it's functions. Get certified in QB.  Get Advanced Certified.  Not only will this show you know the program but it will generate leads for you.

2.  On Facebook, join QBO HC, the Canadian private group. Meet, introduce yourself and interact with  your peers.

3. Hire an attorney that can help you be compliant in setting up a business in your area.  He will do the filings and perhaps recommend insurance, etc.

4.  I recommend Sharefile for sharing documents.  It will encrypt data on the way to/from the folder. This is not so with dropbox, etc.

5.  Look into QB Online version. I started with Desktop version as that was all there was.  But online (although more expensive) is more automated.  Meaning less time/touches in each customer file = more customers you can handle.

6.  Do no use journal entries in QB if there is a transaction that can handle the job. Many times Accountant's use journal entries and you lose some of the details with that. 

I am a bookkeeping only service, so maybe a cpa or tax provider will jump in on this thread. There is Intuit ProConnect that works with QBO.  That is a good tax program,but I don't know what is best for Canadians.

I used to have about 7-10 customers with one full time bookkeeper and one part timer.  I have 83 customers now.  Not all have full bookkeeping services.   I am a qb online only firm.    I have 3 part time bookkeepers on my team and a virtual assistant. My leads come from being active here and writing for Intuit. Also from social media, ProAdvisor forum, referrals, and you tube videos.  I have a blog that I post to every week.  

I hope this was helpful. 

Lynda