Anonymous
Not applicable

Talk about your business

Hey @AmberR

Welcome to the community! That is a great question that I am sure hundreds of people here are wondering. There was a similar discussion started by @JenPM a few weeks ago that might be of interest to you, and there are a few other users (@Anonymous @EmilyMockett, @mcwagner and @lynda, just to name a few) who might be willing to offer guidance from their own experiences. 

I'd like to give my two cents, though I am not a ProAdvisor, based on my experience doing teaching, web design and restaurant consultations. To start broad (getting meta), do you want to be the kind of advisor who leads your clients through the process, or do you want to teach them the process so they can eventually go out and do work on their own? 

In the past, most of my clients fell into two categories - client (a)  who has a very "just do x,y, and z for me and I will call you in a month" and client (b) who asked me to teach them how to do what I do so they can take what they've learned and run with it. I actually prefer working with client, that's just the teacher in me (b). While it might seem like I am putting myself out of work with this approach, I've never found this to be a problem - my ultimate goal is to help my clients succeed and not have to rely on me. This builds trust. These clients are hungry - they always come back wanting to learn more. Moreover, this approach actually gets me more business through word of mouth. Nothing wrong with client (a), it's an absolutely fine approach. 

For client (a), I tend to charge less because I don't really provide "knowledge" as much as perform labor-by-the-hour. We set a schedule and expectations, I deliver, and the process repeats. This is how I did most of my web-design work and how I charge for photo sessions.

For client (b) I charge about 50% more because I am giving away my secrets, and I make that clear. The initial consultation hours be longer than client (a)'s sessions and while it seem more expensive up front, what I teach them should (in theory) pay off more in the long-run. This was the approach I took when I did manager training and teaching consultations. I price based on what I see is the value I am providing. Does that make sense? 

My rule of thumb is, charge more for training because it requires you to do more original work in order to cater to the client's individual needs, and generally, these sessions tend to be a little more difficult. 

Thoughts?