Anonymous
Not applicable

Talk about your business

@AmberR

My pleasure. Really glad it helped :). 

Even though I am not an accountant, this mindset applies for most forms of consultation. There's a sweet spot, I am sure of it, but I've yet to find it. Another way to also think of it: do I want consultations that benefit the short game (quick money) or long-term growth (building a brand through trust). Both methods work for the results you want. 

I definitely don't think you left money on the table. Foremost, it made you stop, think, and reflect. Learning moments are invaluable. Moreover, you made an impact on the client and decided what kind of teacher you are going to be - you thought her how to fish. Others may disagree with me, but impact on others is worth a lot. 

Obtaining clients - is ProAdvising your main gig? I've always gotten work through word-of-mouth recommendations. I took jobs that were initially low (or no) paying for people who were willing to give my name out to colleagues. One writing gig I did for a few hundred dollars for a friend of a friend got me in a room with the founders of The Hundreds (a big streetwear clothing company). They liked what I had written (totally unrelated subject matter), but I ultimately decided not to pursue it. It created something priceless - opportunity. Do good work, genuinely with people, be willing to give "free" advice - delight and the clients will come knocking. 

Do you know @hectorgarciacpa's YouTube channel? He has tons of incredible advice on the subject. The man is a superstar.