qbteachmt
Level 15

Account management

@IH8QuikB

You are Wrong about this: "There is nothing intrinsic about the way QB works that prevents it from being used on One Drive, Drop Box etc."

This is a Relational Database and there are associated utility files that are Live Updated while you work. It isn't just the .qbw that is Updated. Unlike Word and Excel, while you work on a data file, it is not Loaded into local memory.

"Intuit prevents it from being used that way because they want to force you to upgrade to their hosted service."

Oh, nonsense. If you want to understand this, fine. Otherwise, please take your Conspiracy theories off the Peer user Community.

The file is Managed; you didn't even tell us if you want Concurrent Sharing or just two different computers accessing the files individually. We can help you learn, but you would need to ask.

"The fact that QB contains a DB is irrelevant. For example, One Drive works by keeping a local copy of the files and then syncing them with the remote cloud version."

Which is Not going to work for QB; sorry if you don't Like that answer. It's like a phone call that cannot be put on hold or paused. While you work, that transaction is Open and Live. When you Save it, it Updates the data base. it isn't being held hostage or in some temporary folder.

"QB may generate a lot of network traffic with all that synchronization, but the local copy always reflects the changes and provided you don't have some catastrophic machine failure before data can be synced remotely, the cloud version will also eventually reflect those changes."

Let's try this, again: You can work on a DropBox file that is On Your Computer and sync'd to the Cloud. You cannot work on the Dropbox copy and expect someone else to also use it. You use Local Storage for the Working file. Think of what happens if there is a pause in the internet traffic = a hiccup in transmission. For most programs that load the data into local memory, they just pause transmission. For a live update relational database, the connection was Dropped and what you were doing no longer is connected to the file. You risk getting the messages such as "Connection to the data file has been lost" and "Last Transaction not saved; rolling back to the previously saved transaction."

You can risk corrupting your file; no one would stop you. But, this is my Precious Business data, and I like not taking risks with it.

"Unfortunately, intuit do not tell you that they cripple their software so you can't run on a cloud drive."

Yes, this is in the support articles.

And you can investigate QBox; that provider seems to have the coding support that manages the Shared Data File on a cloud server. Which is something I would also never recommend. But then, I like to have local access and local control for Desktop computing.

"I started my company file on One Drive and have no problem opening and editing it, but now I have discovered that none of the saved backups can be restored."

Actually, Backups, from within the QB Backup function using the setting of Full Verification, is the Only Recommended use of DropBox or One Drive. I make a Backup at the end of the working session, and the copy is made to a USB, mirrored on the local computer and to a dropbox location. The QB program can be set to Rotate backups = only keep the most recent 3 or 5.

You can do whatever you want to, but if you want to Learn how to use tools, you pay attention to what people are telling you. Complaining that it doesn't work how you Want it to work, when you did not Write the program, really won't change how it works. If we give you hammer, we can teach you to build a hospital or a doghouse. But first, you should listen to the people describe how to hold and use a hammer, and not complain that it won't dig a Ditch for you.

This is infuriating. I am considering initiating a class-action lawsuit against intuit.