Experienced Member
Solved

Why Quickbooks 2019 for Mac is asking me for a password to open my company file from Quickbooks 2016 for Mac ?

We have just upgraded to Quickbooks Premier 2019 for Mac.

The issue is as follows :

When we want to open our company file from Quickbooks 2016, Quickbooks 2019 is asking me for a password. Please note that never set a password for this company. So why Quickbooks 2019 is asking me to input a password that does not exist in the first place. As a result, we are unable to import our company file into Quickbooks 2019 and use the latter at all.

Please let us know what we can do at your earliest possible convenience. Thanks.

Established Community Backer **

Re: Why Quickbooks 2019 for Mac is asking me for a password to open my company file from Quickbooks 2016 for Mac ?

There likely was a password on the old file but you had it stored in your Apple keychain.  QuickBooks Mac 2016 would just log you in automatically without prompting.  QuickBooks Mac 2019 requires you to type the password in (though it will autofill it from the keychain if it can find it).

Have you changed machines?  That's usually how the keychain loses the password.  You can open Apple's Keychain Access program (use Spotlight to find it).  If you were on another machine or user account when using 2016 make sure to do this there.

Then in the top right type the word QuickBooks in the search bar.  You hopefully will find an entry for the QuickBooks User.  Double click on that and it will prompt you for your login password (the password you use to login into your Mac OS user account).   Type in your password.  It should then reveal the user password you need to enter in QuickBooks.

If none of that works you can follow the flow for "forgot my password" or "reset password" on the log in screen. 

QuickBooks Team

Re: Why Quickbooks 2019 for Mac is asking me for a password to open my company file from Quickboo...

It’s nice to see you here in the Community, @antoineaugier.

I’m here to share some information about the password prompt when accessing company file using QuickBooks Desktop 2019 for Mac.

The new QuickBooks version has added security that helps protect sensitive data like credit cards, SSN, and employer identification numbers. Those who have Credit Card Protection enabled will be asked to create a password when signing in to the file after the update.

Since it’s not set up, you can leave the Password field blank and simply hit the OK button. QuickBooks should allow you to access the file successfully.

If the system continues to ask you to enter a password, I recommend reaching out to the Technical Support Team for further assistance. They can pull up your account in a secure environment, which we are unable to do in public forums, and help reset the password for you. 

Here’s how:

1. Go to this link: https://help.quickbooks.intuit.com/en_US/contactus.
  2. Select QuickBooks Mac Desktop.
  3. Choose a topic.
  4. Scroll down and click the Get Phone Number button.

Check out the following articles for more information: 

That should get you on the right track.

Let me know if this works out for you or how the call goes. I’m more than happy to help. Take care and have a good one!

Experienced Member

Re: Why Quickbooks 2019 for Mac is asking me for a password to open my company file from Quickboo...

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Actually, we realized that the 2016 Quickbooks file was in Windows format and therefore, it needed to be converted to a Mac format (qqb). 
Once we did this, we managed to open the Company File from Quickbooks 2019 without difficulty and what is more, Quickbooks no longer asked us to input a password.

It should be noted that Quickbooks 2019 did not automatically ask us to update/upload our company file from the previous Quickbooks 2016 version. In our view, it should have been the case in order to ensure a smooth transition between the two versions.