LMNielsen
Level 1

how to change bank account paychecks are drawn on

I now need to draw paychecks out of a dedicated payroll bank account and not from the general account, how do I make this change

AlcaeusF

Banking

Hi LMNielsen,

Welcome aboard to the Community. I'm here to lend a hand with any questions you may have with your payroll concern in QuickBooks Desktop.

You can change the default bank account used for creating paychecks through the Preferences window. By doing so, all future payroll will be using the bank account selected from the settings.

Here are the steps:

1. Click the Edit tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Preferences.
  3. Go to Checking.
  4. Go to the Company Preferences tab.
  5. Below Select default account to use, change the bank account for creating paychecks.
  6. Click OK.

For existing payrolls with the incorrect bank account, you may need to correct them by opening each transaction manually. It would be easier to do this through the Transaction list section.

You can follow these steps:

1. Click the Employees tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Click Employee Center.
  3. Go to the Transactions tab.
  4. Select Paychecks.
  5. Double-click the paycheck.
  6. Change the bank account.
  7. Click Save & Close.

Thanks for dropping in. Please don't hesitate to post your response whenever you need further help from me with your payroll.

SummersElectricLLC
Level 3

Banking

Does this change the actual account that QuickBooks Payroll service will withdraw the funds from or does that have to be changed elsewhere?

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Banking

Hi there. Thank you for joining the conversation.

Allow me to provide some clarification regarding your query about updating your payroll bank account. 

The steps mentioned earlier were specifically for updating the bank account used to track paychecks in QuickBooks Desktop. This is where your payroll transactions and tax payments are recorded in your books.

If you want to update your actual bank account for direct deposit, you can follow these steps instead:

QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic, Standard, Enhanced

1. Go to the Employees menu and select My Payroll Service, then Accounts/Billing Information.
  2. Sign in using your Intuit Account login.
  3. Go to the Payroll Info section. Under Direct Deposit Bank Account, click Edit.
  4. Enter your payroll PIN and select Continue.
  5. Enter your new bank account info, then click Update. When you receive the confirmation message, select Close.

QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted

1. Select Employees and click My Payroll Service, then Billing/Bank Information to access the Payroll Service Account Maintenance pages.
  2. Under Bank Account Information, select Edit next to Bank Account.
  3. Enter your payroll PIN and click Continue.
  4. Enter your new bank account info, then select Update. When you receive the confirmation message, click Close.

Once you've completed these steps, we will verify your new account with a test transaction. Afterward, you can follow the previously mentioned steps to update your default bank account in your accounting preferences. 

For complete guidelines, you can check out this article: Change your payroll bank account.

In addition, there are several payroll reports available that provide useful information about your business and employees. To get a closer look at your business's finances, please refer to this resource: Run payroll reports.

If you have any further concerns about updating your payroll bank account in QuickBooks Desktop, simply return to this thread, and I'll be happy to assist you. Have a good one. 

SummersElectricLLC
Level 3

Banking

I have followed the steps to change the bank account that paycheck direct deposits are withdrawn from. I have attempted it multiple times and it always lets me go through all of the steps and click update, but when I click update it gives me a spinning circle for a bout 2 seconds and then nothing happens and the old account still shows under Direct Deposit Bank Account. What might be the problem?

AlcaeusF

Banking

Hi Summers,

Thank you for dropping by here in the Community. I'm here to help you update your bank account for direct deposit payroll.

You'll need to update the bank account showing in Accounts/ Billing Information first before changing the default bank in your QuickBooks accounting preferences. If you've followed the process and the issue persists, the problem may be program-related.

I recommend running some troubleshooting to isolate and get rid of the issue. Let's start by updating QuickBooks to the latest release. Aside from improving the performance of the software, this process also fixes common and complicated errors automatically.

Here's how:

1. Click the Help tab in the upper-right corner, then select Update QuickBooks Desktop.
  2. Go to the Update Now tab.
  3. Select the updates you want to include.
  4. Put a checkmark on the box beside Reset Update.
  5. Hit Get Updates. Download and install automatic QuickBooks Desktop updates
  6. Close and re-open QuickBooks.

Once updated, let's run the Verify Data and Verify Rebuild tools to ensure your company file is error-free. These features in QuickBooks will help self-identify data issues within the company file and self-resolve them using Rebuild Data. 

To run Verify Data:

1. Click the File tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Hover your cursor to Utilities.
  3. Select Verify Data.

Next, please run the Rebuild Data option through these steps:

1. Click the File tab at the top menu bar.
  2. Hover your cursor to Utilities.
  3. Select Verify Rebuild.

Additionally, we have different QuickBooks Desktop tools to help fix problems and errors. You can also check this article for more details about using the QuickBooks Tool Hub to repair QuickBooks: Fix common problems and errors with the QuickBooks Desktop Tool Hub.

Drop me a comment below if you have any other questions about managing payroll bank accounts or updating payroll details in QuickBooks. We'll be happy to help you some more.

SummersElectricLLC
Level 3

Banking

I have gone through all of the steps, including downloading and using the tool hub. Still, when I enter the new bank account information and click updated, it gives the spinning wheel for less than a second and then nothing happens, no confirmation, no change. The only thing that has changed is the name of the bank account, but the routing and account numbers have not changed. I have to have this fixed before processing next week's payroll on Monday. Please tell me who I can call to help me resolve this.

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Banking

Thanks for following up with us, @SummersElectricLLC.

I understand the urgency to have this matter resolved.

Since the steps that my colleagues have provided above aren't working for you, I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. This way, one of our agents can review your account in a secure environment and investigate this matter further. You can use the link I'm including below to connect with our team directly. 

Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. Have a great weekend!