ClayJ
QuickBooks Team

Banking

Hey there, Nathandh. I want to shed some light on this for you, so your books are right as rain. With QuickBooks and American Express, you will be able to connect one account. For more information on how American Express connects to QBO, take a look at this article: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1302337-american-express-connect-to-quickbooks#Key%20Benefits . For Chase, you will be able to connect more than just the one account. Since you have multiple cards for Chase, it is recommended you have one account as the parent/reconciliation account. Any other accounts associated with that line of credit should be sub accounts. Only the sub accounts should be connected via bank feeds. This action will allow the charges on the individual cards to funnel up to the parent account, where you will apply payments and reconcile. It should look something like this:

Parent (Reconcile) Account
>John’s Card xxxx
>Jane’s Card xxxx
>Josh’s Card xxxx

To create a sub account, follow these steps:

• Click the Gear icon at the top, then select Chart of Accounts.
  • Choose New at the top.
  • In the Account Type drop-down, select the account type (Credit Card).
  • In the Detail Type drop-down, choose the type of account you want to create (Credit Card).
  • Enter a name for the account In the Name field.
  • Check the box for Is sub-account, and chose the parent (reconcile) account.
  • (Optional) In the Balance field (not available for all account types), enter an opening balance for the account. Then in the as of field, enter the date of the balance.
  • Click Save and Close(or Save and New if you want to enter another account right away).

Once you have entered in all of the accounts and mapped everything, you can start connecting your bank accounts. The reason for this process is to help avoid duplicate transactions and the system in general won't allow for the parent account to be connected while sub accounts are also connected. I've attached the article with additional information about this process: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145370-setting-up-bank-or-credit-card-account-that-attaches-t... . Should you need anything else, I'm a comment away. 

View solution in original post