MaksEl
Level 1

Employee SS Number

Dear,

I have problem to insert SS number in W-4 employees payroll.

(4) of my employees have SS number  beginning with # 9, and when I try to insert this SS numbers to W-4 form, I got message "social security number is not valid"

I already check this SS number with my employees. They are all correct.

What I have to do, or how I can insert this numbers to W-4 form

Thanks,

Tony

JanyRoseB
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hi there, @MaksEl.

Thanks for letting us know. Let me help share some insights about the Social Security Number (SSN) on the W-4 Form. 

I've checked my resources, and we haven't received any similar reports about entering SSN on the W-4 Form. In this case, I encourage you to call the Social Security Administration to verify your employee's SSN. 

You can contact them through this link:  Verify and edit an employee's Social Security Number

Please know that you're always welcome to post if you have any other questions about the W-4 Form. Have a good one. 

Diane 59
Level 1

Employees and payroll

I am trying to enter a new employee.  Social Security # begins with a 9.  I have also verified that it is a good number.  I get a notice 

This Site Says …..

Enter the Social Security Number as xxx-xx-xxxx

How do I get this employee entered?

Tori B
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hey there, @Diane 59.

I hope you're having a wonderful morning so far. 

I'm here to help explain the difference in the socials starting in the number 9. These are actually referred to as Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). In which these are provided to someone who can not obtain a social security number. For more details about ITIN, check out https://www.irs.gov/individuals/individual-taxpayer-identification-number. 

QuickBooks Online doesn't accept an ITIN when adding an employee. Below I've included some articles to explain the differences further. 

Please let me know if you find you have further questions or concerns. I'll be here for you every step of the way. You can always reach out to us here in the Community anytime you find you need help. Take care and have a good one!