derekc123
Level 1

Stop Social Security Deduction for employee with income from another employer

I have an employee that worked for another company and he had social security withheld from his pay at that company.  How can I stop withholding social security from his paycheck once his combined salary reaches the limit?  Also I think I do, but do I have to continue to pay the employer portion of social security until the limit is reached at my company?

Solved
JessT

Employees and payroll

It's nice to see you here, derekc123!

Yes, you'll have to continue paying for the employer portion of the Social Security and continue deducting the employee portion from his pay.

The wage base limit is independent per employer. If your employee has reached the limit and paid the SS in excess because he has two employers, he can request for a refund. He can reach out to a tax advisor to recover the excess.

Feel free to reach out if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

NLF-2023
Level 1

Employees and payroll

Somehow my Social Security and Medicare were deleted from my payroll tax.  So, it missed taken the taxes for two weeks.  I caught it when doing my 941's.  So, I put the tax back in my tax profile, but now it's still not deducting these two taxes and I have to remember to do each pay.  Can you see why QB would do this?

Thanks.

Rea_M

Employees and payroll

Hello, NLF-2023.

I know the possible reasons why QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) Payroll isn't deducting the Social Security and Medicare taxes from your paychecks. I'll elaborate on the details and solutions to ensure that your taxes are calculated accurately.

QuickBooks calculates your paychecks based on the payroll information you’ve entered in your payroll product. When your paychecks aren't calculating payroll taxes like Social Security and Medicare, the reasons include the following:

Let's start our troubleshooting by checking if the setup of your payroll deductions is correct, then update if needed

Next, make sure you have a supported QuickBooks Desktop and the tax table is up to date. This way, you'll have accurate rates and calculations for federal and supported state taxes, payroll tax forms, and e-file and e-pay options.

After that, run a tax and wage summary report to verify if the deductions have reached the limit you set up to withhold for a certain period.

For the complete troubleshooting guide, please see this article: Troubleshoot paychecks calculating incorrectly.

Additionally, you have the option to run payroll reports, which provide insights into your business finances and employee information. For the complete list of available reports and guide on how to perform this task, please refer to this article: Run payroll reports.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any other payroll questions or need further assistance in calculating taxes using QBDT payroll. I'm always ready to help.