Rasa-LilaM
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Thanks for joining this thread, CA337.

Allow me to share some information about how a journal entry and creating a liability adjustment affects the employee’s W-2.

Once you record a journal entry, the adjusting amount will not show/reflect on the corrected W-2. For it to show on the tax form, you’ll have to process a payroll correction for the previous year’s data.

Adjusting payroll information requires account verification. The Community is a public forum, and gathering personal details can’t be done here for security reasons.

I suggest contacting our Payroll Support Team as they have tools to review your paychecks and correct the information. As mentioned by @HoneyLynn_G, create a journal entry to record the corrected amount on your chart of accounts.

As always, I recommend contacting your accountant first to help determine the correct debit and credit accounts.

The most up to date contact information can be found here:

1. Go to Help at the top, then click on the Contact Us link.
  2. In the How can we help you with? window enter contact payroll support in the field box.
  3. In the Ways we can connect with us section, select Message an Agent or We’ll call you.

The information I provided should correct the employee’s W-2.

If you have additional questions about payroll, leave me a comment. Please know I’m here to assist further.