Carilarsen
Level 1

Needing to upgrade and I'd like to switch from PC to the Mac Version

I'm receiving emails stating it's time to upgrade and my subscription will expire April 24. I want to switch from PC version to Mac. I'm not sure I will be able to get everything in place by the 24th. Is there in way to prolong the renewal for a month to get everything in place without interruption?

JaneD

Employees and payroll

Hi there, Carilarsen.

Thanks for joining the Community. I'm here to share a few details about switching to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac from Windows.

If you're referring to your payroll subscription, please know that when using the Mac version, you'll have to switch to the online version of payroll as well. In this case, there's no need to prolong the renewal of your subscription.

So you're aware, some data may or may not be converted into QuickBooks Desktop for Mac from Windows. For more information, you can check out this article: Opening your Windows file in Mac.

After installing the software, follow these steps to convert your Windows file to Mac:

1. Update QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to the latest release.
  2. Open the company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
  3. Re-sort lists.
  4. Rebuild and Verify your company file data.
  5. Go to the File menu and select Utilities.
  6. Choose Copy Company File for QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
  7. Save the file on your desired location. This creates a file with the extension MAC.qbb.
  8. Send the copy to the Mac computer using whatever method you prefer (e.g., DVD, external hard drive, flash drive, FTP web site).

Then, restore the MAC.qbb file using Mac.

Here's how:

1. In the No Company Open window, click on Browse and locate the file you want to restore.
    Note: If your QuickBooks Windows file is on an external drive, save it locally by dragging it to the desired location before restoring it to avoid data corruption.
  2. QuickBooks will ask if you want to restore the Windows file, just select OK.
  3. Enter a name for the restored file and then select Save.

For further guidance, you can refer to this article: Convert your Windows company file to a Mac file.

This should point you in the right direction. Please let me know if you need further assistance by leaving a comment below. I'll be here to keep helping.