EBuilders
Level 1

Removing old Payroll Liabilities from platform

I have come across the problem where the previous bookkeeper did not mark old payroll liabilities as paid. They show from Summer 2017 as overdue, but they were most definitely paid in 2017.

Is there a way to mark them as paid without actually adding a payment in QuickBooks Desktop?

We tried making a bill for 2017 and voiding it out, tried entering a $0 bill to see if it would go away, but to no avail. 

Again, they were definitely paid in 2017 but I do not know how to remove these notifications since they were not marked as paid in QuickBooks.

Any ideas?

Solved
KhimG
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hello there, @EBuilders.

It’s nice to have you in the Community. I’m here to assist you in removing the old payroll liabilities showing as overdue in your account.

Since you referenced that the payment was made and liabilities still show as overdue, you can enter historical tax payments to mark them as paid.

Here’s how:
1.    Click the Help menu at the top and select About QuickBooks.
2.    On your keyboard, press Ctrl + Alt + Y to open the Setup YTD Amounts window.
3.    Select Next until you reach the Enter prior payments section.
4.    Click Create Payment.
5.    Enter the Payment Date and For Period Ending date accordingly.
6.    In the Taxes and Liabilities field, choose the payroll tax item you’ve already paid and then enter the amount.
7.    Click on Accounts Affected button and select Do not affect accounts. By doing so, the prior payments will not affect your balances or show up in the bank register.
9.    Continue to the next by selecting Next Payment. Once all payments have been entered, click Done to save your work.
10.    Hit Finish to close the window.

For additional information, as well as screenshots for the steps above, please visit the following link: Enter historical tax payments in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.

This information should be able to answer your questions on how to remove paid liabilities showing as overdue in the Pay Liabilities section.

Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below. If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll be here to help. Have a most pleasant day!

View solution in original post

qbteachmt
Level 15

Employees and payroll

There is Never AP Bills as part of QB payroll. It never makes sense to make something and Void it, either. That is just spinning your wheels as busy work.

If this is paid, it is supposed to show as a Liability Check. That way, the Payroll Items are listed and that also flows the data to the accounting, to keep, for example, Payroll Liability Balance matched to the Payroll Reporting that lists by Payroll Item the specific amounts unpaid.

When someone Pays by manual Write Check, they break that relationship. You need to Find how they paid it. That is needed, so you know what they did wrong.

Example: If they Paid as Liability on the Expenses tab of a Write Check, you will Replace their check with your Pay Liability check, same date, amount and check #. Then, you Delete theirs. Then you can rereconcile the bank for the most recent ending balance, and Ignore the beginning balance and clear only these recreated transactions, and you get a difference of 0 and you are back on track. That's because they paid Liability, just not with the proper Tool.

If you see they paid it as Expense, that is a different problem. That made a mess in your Financial reporting and orphaned not only the Payroll Item, but also, the Payroll Liability balance, and double-reported the Expense, since this never was the employer's money or expense. In this example, and make sure you run this past your own CPA, you can make one Pay Liability Check for 2017, and select what still shows as needing to be paid. Then, click on the Expenses tab of this liability check and put the same total here as negative, and use the same Expense account they used. Now hit Recalc. You have a $0 check. You offset their error by this Lump Sum. The CPA might need to amend tax reporting, because of this error.

And make sure to run the Liability Balances report and for All Dates and Columns by Year, then by Quarter. Also, the Create Custom Liability Payment function is how you can Combine those differently Scheduled liabilities, if you need to use the Lump Sum Expense offset method.

Good luck. This is unfortunate.

EBuilders
Level 1

Employees and payroll

This worked perfectly, thank you!

pmpscs
Level 1

Employees and payroll

Which of the suggestions worked perfectly for you?

StephanieH1
Level 1

Employees and payroll

That process worked perfectly. I took over a QB file with several duplicate payrolls and multiple checks processed outside the payroll/liability process. We are good-to-go and current liabilities are reconciled. Thanks for providing great step-by-step directions.

Paulette4
Level 1

Employees and payroll

I followed the directions in removing old payroll liabilities , but they are still there.  What do I do now.

Paulette4
Level 1

Employees and payroll

I followed the directions but they are still showing.  What do I do now?

JonpriL

Employees and payroll

Hello @Paulette4,

Since your old payroll liability is still showing after following the steps above, you can consider writing a check with the same liability date.

1. Go to Employees.
  2. Select Payroll Center.
  3. Click Pay Liabilities.
  4. Under Pay Taxes & Other Liabilities, select your old payroll liability.
  5. Select View/Pay.
  6. Enter the appropriate liability date.
  7. Click Save & Close.

In addition, I'd recommend contacting your accountant for additional assistance in removing your old payroll liability.

Lastly, I've got you these helpful articles for ideas in managing your payroll transactions: Employees and Payroll Taxes.

Keep me posted in the comments if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help.

Mr5
Level 1

Employees and payroll

Oct. Vseelab inc.  have 14 people listed in payroll, but you charged 15 people fee.

Kristine Mae

Employees and payroll

We'll have to check your payroll account to verify the charge, Mr5.

I suggest reaching out to our payroll support so an agent can provide you with the information. Here's how:

1. Click Help inside QuickBooks.
  2. Go to QuickBooks Desktop Help, then select Contact Us.
  3. Enter "Payroll fee inquiry" in the description box, then click Continue.
  4. Select either Start a Message or Get a callback.

You can also check the pricing or fee of our different payroll subscriptions.

The Community is open 24/7 to help you. Reach out to us again if you have other payroll concerns.

Mugs
Level 1

Employees and payroll

It shows that I have an overdue payroll.  The problem is that for that period the amount due is 0.  I've tried everything to remove this overdue notice, but have had no success.  I can't write checks when the amount due is 0.  Hope you can assist me with this.

Rose-A

Employees and payroll

Hey there, Mugs.

To get this sorted out, you can edit and change your payroll schedule to remove the zero overdue payroll liability.

Here's how:

1. Click the Employees at the top menu bar.
  2. Choose Payroll Center.
  3. Go to the Pay Employees tab.
  4. From the drop-down arrow in the Payroll Schedules and choose Edit Schedule.
  5. Update the dates of your pay period end date and paycheck date to the future date.
  6. Click OK once you're done.

For your references, you can visit the following articles below. These will provide you ways on how to enter liability payments in QuickBooks Desktop as well as steps on how to assign a pay schedule to an employee:

Scheduled liabilities payroll show as overdue or in red.

Set up and manage payroll schedules.

After trying the steps above, let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below. I’ll be here to keep helping. Have a good one.

jeanne05201
Level 2

Employees and payroll

@KhimG 

I am on QB online and the help button does not have "About Quickbooks".  Please advise where to look.

ReymondO
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Thank you for joining in this thread, @jeanne05201.

The steps that were shared by my colleague KhimG are intended for QuickBooks Desktop users. This is why you're unable to see the "About QuickBooks" in the Help button. 

Are you trying to remove your old payroll liabilities in QuickBooks Online (QBO)? If so, you can directly reach out to our QuickBooks Payroll Corrections Team. They are the ones who will be handling your payroll adjustments to correct your YTD entries.

Option 1

1. Click the Help icon.
  2. Hit the Contact Us button at the bottom. 
  3. Enter your concern in the description, then click Let's talk or Continue.
  4. Select Get a callback.

Option 2

1. Click the Help menu in the upper-right hand corner.
  2. Type in "Talk to a human", then press Enter.
  3. Look for I still need a human and click on it.
  4. Click Get help from a human or Contact Support Team.
  5. Select between Send a messageSchedule an appointment, or Get a callback.

You can also check out our support hours to ensure that we address your concerns on time.

Please leave a comment below if you have any other issues or concerns. I want to make sure everything is taken care of for you. Enjoy your day!

Jim Brex
Level 1

Employees and payroll

I have two payments that are calculating for Feb and March 15th for Jan and Feb. They are totally incorrect. The 941 is done and correct, and May payment is calculating fine. I need to delete these two payments that are incorrect. I tried putting them in, saving them and then deleting, making them zero, and no luck. Somehow, I have to simply delete them from the system. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Ethel_A
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Welcome to the Community, Jim Brex.

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concern about deleting a payment. I'm happy to share with you the steps on how to do it.

You will be able to delete these transactions individually.

Here's how:

1. Select the Transaction Type 
  2. Choose Edit.
  3. Click on Delete.

You can also check on how to batch delete or void transactions in QuickBooks Desktop Accountant Edition.

Feel free to reach back out to me if I can be of more help with deleting payments. I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as I can.

MMiles
Level 1

Employees and payroll

This worked the last time I used this method.  However this time, it isn't working.... It is keeping them there in the liability screen section :/

Kristine Mae

Employees and payroll

We'll have to take a better look at this, MMiles. Let me route you to the right department.

I suggest reaching out to our payroll support so an agent can help you manage your liabilities. You can follow ReymondO's steps so you can get in touch with us.

Feel free to check our support hours so you can immediately get in touch with an agent. 

We're available 24/7. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have other concerns. Keep safe!

fiftiesfan
Level 1

Employees and payroll

This solution is spot on except for one problem: If you have paid the liability outside of the payroll process, you need to have that show up in your payroll liability account so that it does not continue to show as an unpaid liability. So instead of choosing "Do not affect any accounts" you need to choose "affect liability account but not bank account" - assuming that the liability has already been paid and cleared the bank.

MMiles
Level 1

Employees and payroll

This worked for me!  How do I make this so they don't populate to this screen?  Another employee pays these manually, and we don't want them to go to this payroll liabilities screen no more.

Maybelle_S
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Thanks for reaching out to the Community, MMiles.

I would love to help you, but I just need some information about your concern. Could you please provide more details regarding the payroll liabilities and the one you don't want to populate on the screen?

It could also be best if you'll provide us with the product you're using.

Any additional info or a screenshot of the interface will be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your reply. Have a good one!

GK201
Level 1

Employees and payroll

Is there a different method for QBs 2023? As this is not working for me.

Mich_S
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hello there, GK201.

I want to ensure you can achieve your goal for today. Can you please provide us further on what you're trying to accomplish and what prevents you from doing it? This information will help us investigate and guide you further on what to do.

Looking forward to your reply on this. I'll be around to lend a helping hand. Take the best care!

GK201
Level 1

Employees and payroll

I have liabilities that show up as overdue in the payroll and tax liability, when in fact they have been paid. I would like to be able to remove them. Please advise