QwltrActnt
Level 2

Employees and payroll

qbteachmt:  Here is a screenshot of the chapter exercise file - no Payroll Center available, only the Employee Center.  The QuickBooks Desktop 2018: A Complete Course by Janet Horne textbook states on page 553:  

"Once a  payroll schedule is created, emplooyees are assigned to it based on the frequency of payment.  For example, you assign the employees paid monthly to one schedule and the employees paid weekly to another schedule.  When it is time to process the payroll, you access the Payroll Center (not available without a subscription),* click the Pay Employees tab, select the payroll schedule you want to run, then click Start Scheduled Payroll.  After that, you verify the hours worked and the amounts for each employee listed on the schedule, review the paycheck summary, and finally, create paychecks.

Since we are processing payroll manually, we cannot use Payroll Schedules in the text."

* my emphasis added

I'm sorry you feel I've created a conspiracy around the fact that manual payroll functionality is disappearing from the desktop versions each time the newer versions come out.  I've been using QuickBooks since long before it was numbered - about 1995, setting up client files, training and doing troubleshooting, and before Intuit created their different subscription payroll services - likely in response to all the client issues regarding payroll.  I've been teaching it since about 2003, and have used many different textbooks and platforms.  The school's version is from Intuit Education Program, as are all the student copies.  This version is QuickBooks Accountant Desktop 2018, as are all my students' copies.

There is no Payroll Center now, not in any of the files provided by Pearson to go with the text.  The company view in the chapter file for payroll matches the textbook paragraph in stating that the Payroll Center isn't an option, whereas last year, when we were using the 2015 desktop version, it was there.