laurac
Level 2

Payroll period variations

I have a client that pays themselves at different periods (as cashflow allows).  Sometimes they are paid weeky, other times monthly or fortnightly. 

At the moment the default is weekly - meaning if they get paid for a month then the dates relating to the pay period are not accurate and I have to manually adjust the PAYG.

How can i enter this into Quickbooks easily and accurately?  Is there a way of not setting up a payroll period and just customising the dates for each payment?

Solved
SterlingD
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hi @laurac.

Thank you for reaching out to the QuickBooks Community. I'll be happy to explain how your client can pay themselves with different periods.

One way you can accomplish this, is to set them up on a regular payroll (weekly, monthly, etc) and then just run payroll as unscheduled instead of what's scheduled. 

To run unscheduled payroll in QuickBooks Online:

1. Select Workers.
  2. Select Employees.
  3. Select Run payroll.
  4. Find the employee you want to pay, and then select Create another check.
  5. Enter employee compensation, including any salary adjustments, vacation or sick hours, and other pay types.
  6. Confirm the pay period and check date.
  7. Select Preview Payroll, and then Select Submit payroll.
  8. If you're creating a paper check, handwrite or print the check and give it to the employee by the check date.
  9. Select Finish payroll.

For more information on Unscheduled checks, click here.

Let me know if this will work for your client by responding below. I'm always here to help. 

laurac
Level 2

Employees and payroll

Thanks for your reply Stirling, however, I am using Quickbooks Essentials.  

There is no option for choosing 'workers' - just Employees, then New Payrun.  At this point you can only choose to adjust the 'pay period ending' date and if your pay schedule is weekly then it will only use the week prior to the nominated pay period ending date.

There is also no option for 'Create check'.

I've considered just creating fortnightly and monthly pay schedules but that means i have to go in and change the pay schedule on the employee before every pay, which i would prefer not to do.

SterlingD
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

Hello @laurac.

Thank you for getting back to me.

Which Payroll product is your client using?

I also wanted to mention that the pay period that shows doesn't matter for tax purposes, only recording on your side. The only date that actually matters for tax purposes is the pay date. 

I'll be keeping an eye out for your reply. 

View solution in original post

laurac
Level 2

Employees and payroll

Hi Sterling - it seems i've got onto the US site, I'm in Australia so that's likely causing the difference.

I will leave my query here and direct it to an Australian site - thanks for your help anyway!

VivienJ
QuickBooks Team

Employees and payroll

G'day, how are you doing @laurac?

Thanks for posting your queries here in the Community. I have some information to share about your payroll concern and route you to the appropriate support. 

The response provided by @Sterling above is correct and applicable to those US-based customers. The QuickBooks Online version for Australia is integrated with the KeyPay Payroll. 

To ensure you'll be supported properly, I'll tag your post to the appropriate region and refer you to one of my colleagues from QBO Australia support. You can also opt to contact the KeyPay Payroll support directly. 

Here's how:

1. Select Employees
  2. Click the blue button labelled Payroll Support 

You'll want to also email them at support@yourpayroll.com.au.

This should guide you to the support who can further help you. 

If you have other concerns in the future, feel free to leave me a response below or start a new thread here in the Community. 

Have a great day!