LauraAB
QuickBooks Team

Employees & Payroll

Hi impossible,

I want to make sure that I'm following your question. The bulk of what you're asking is related to classifying payroll items in QuickBooks Desktop, but the title for the question is about classifying credit card payments. I'll focus on the payroll items and Timesheets/Time Data since that seems to be where your focus is, but don't be afraid to reach out if you'd like some direction about credit card payments as well.

I can see how having classes for your payroll items is important considering your employees work for different areas of the business. While class can't be added to all payroll items, it's possible to add class to an employee, which may satisfy your needs. To do this, simply double click on an employee name from the Employee Centre to edit their profile and then navigate to the Payroll Info tab. From there, you'll be able to add a class to your employees. In doing that, QuickBooks will automatically add the class to payroll items that can have class assigned to them directly on the employee's paycheque. If something needs to be classed differently, you can change it in the options on the Review or Edit Payroll window if it's available for the item. You'll then be able to filter by class when you customize reports and run them.

Timesheets and Time Data are used for registering the hours worked for an employee. Payroll will pull this information from the Timesheets if you have it set up that way and add it to the regular paycheque, so there's no need to add deductions and other payroll items to the time card. It's on the paycheque details in the Payroll Centre that you'll see the additional payroll items such as VacPay Accrual Paid out and so forth come into play.

I hope that helps clear that up. Enjoy your weekend.