QuickBooksHelp
Intuit

Fix issues when QuickBooks has stopped working

Learn how to resolve issues that cause QuickBooks Desktop to stop working.

Did you get an error when you try to open QuickBooks Desktop? Or maybe you didn't get an error, but the program is frozen. There could be several possible causes:

• Your company name may be too long
  • You may have a damaged or missing QBWUSER.INI file
  • You may have corruption on your hard drive
  • Your program files or QuickBooks Desktop installation may be damaged
  • You may have a damaged Windows operating system

We have solutions to help you resolve the issue.

Solution 1: Run Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.

Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub

The QuickBooks Tool Hub helps fix common errors.  For the best experience, we recommend using Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit.

1. Close QuickBooks.
  2. We recommend you download the most recent version (1.4.0.0) of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save the file somewhere you can easily find it (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop). Note: If you've already installed Tool Hub before, you can find out which version you have. Select the Home tab.  The version will be displayed on the bottom right or you can select About to view the version.
  3. Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
  4. Follow the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
  5. When the install finishes, double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool hub.

ToolHubIcon_QBDT_US_Ext_051320.jpg

Note: If you can't find the icon, do a search in Windows for QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the program.

ToolHubSearch_QBDS_US_Ext_051320.jpg

Step 2: From the Tool Hub, run the Quick Fix my Program

The Quick Fix will shut down any open background processes QuickBooks uses. It'll run a quick repair on your program.

1. In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Program Problems.
  2. Select Quick Fix my Program.
  3. Start QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.