Recording a GST refund
Please Note: In March 2018 QuickBooks will start rolling out a new GST experience. This will happen gradually over a period of time. If you can see View reports, you are in the classic experience or if you can see Run Reports, you are on the new experience. Please follow the relevant steps below based on the GST experience you are in.
- Go to the GST Centre from the left-hand menu.
- Click Record Payment in the Action column for the BAS period you wish to record the refund against.
- Change the radio button option to Refund.
- Select the date of the refund and the account the refund was deposited to.
- Input the amount of the payment and any memo for the transaction.
- Click the Save button.
Record a Refund when you don't lodge your BAS through the GST Centre
- Select Gear Icon in the top right-hand corner.
- Select Journal Entry.
- Line 1 & 2 will be your BAS Liabilities Payable account.
- Debit the amount you Collected on GST.
- Credit the amount you Paid on GST.
- Line 3 will be your BAS Suspense (or clearing account you use) enter the required amount on the debit side.
See picture attached for a visual on how this manual journal entry should be entered.
Note: Amounts in the picture are an example only.
- Select GST on the left hand menu.
- Under To Pay, click Record Refund.
- Select the Account the payment will be deposited into and the Date of the refund.
- Input any Memo for the transaction.
- Select Save.
You must This widget could not be displayed.