QuickBooksHelp
Intuit

QuickBooks Data Services FAQ

Learn how to send your file to QuickBooks Data Services team and contact them to check the status of your case.

Note: In your Welcome Email, we send you instructions. It'll have details and a link to upload your company file. We'll go over file type details. The subject line will have your case number. The sender will be qbocaresupport@intuit.com

How do I contact QuickBooks Data Services?

If you have questions, refer to any email sent by the team about your Data Services case. There, you're given a direct link to the Data Services chat team. We can check the status of or answer any questions about your Data Services case. We're available Mon–Fri 6 AM - 6 PM PT.

What can QuickBooks Data Services help with?

QuickBooks Data Services is here to help you:

• Fix your broken files
  • Move your books from an old version of QuickBooks to the current version
  • Move your books from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online
  • Move your books into QuickBooks from a non-Intuit financial software

Here are the specific products QuickBooks Data Services will work with by country:

Service Product US CA UK/South Africa
Data Recovery QuickBooks Enterprise X X
QuickBooks Pro/Premier X X X
QuickBooks Mac X
QuickBooks Point of Sale X
Internal Data Move (move data between Intuit QuickBooks products) QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online X X
QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop X
External Data Move (move data from a non-Intuit product into an Intuit QuickBooks product) Quicken to QuickBooks Online X
Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop X
Sage 50 Desktop to QuickBooks Online X
Sage 50 Desktop to QuickBooks Desktop X
Excel Lists and Balances to QuickBooks Desktop X
Excel Lists and Balances to QuickBooks Online X

I've just started my QuickBooks Data Services case, now what?

When you report your issue to QuickBooks support, they'll set expectations for the Data Services process.  They'll provide some action items you'll need to take. Your case can't get assigned to the Data Services team until all of those action items are done.

Here's a quick summary of those action items.

For cases on a QuickBooks Desktop product

• Your company file must be uploaded to the appropriate website.
  • If you're converting a 3rd party software to QuickBooks Desktop, you must provide the password for your company file from the 3rd party software.
  • If you want to move your Data from QuickBooks Online, you can find apps to help you move transaction data like invoices, estimates, and bills from QuickBooks Apps.

For QuickBooks Online cases

You need to add Data Services as an Accountant user in your QuickBooks Online account.

1. Select the Gear icon, then Manage Users.
  2. Go to the Accountants tab.
  3. Enter qbo_supportteam@intuit.com, then select Invite.
  • If you're converting a 3rd party software to QuickBooks Online, you must provide the password for your company file from the 3rd party software.

Note: It's important to complete these actions as soon as possible to avoid delays. We review new data services cases hourly. If you miss any action items, it's possible your case will miss an entire day of Data Services work.

For cases involving both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online

• We don't assist with the transfer of data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop.
  • You can export your lists and balances from QuickBook Online.
  • If you want to move your Data from QuickBooks Online, you can find apps to help you move transaction data like invoices, estimates, and bills from QuickBooks Apps.

How do I upload or download my files?

Check out the Upload or download files with Intuit Customer File Exchange for help uploading or downloading your files.

What type of file can I upload?

Your Current Software File Type Extension
QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier/Enterprise
  • .QBW - Company file
  • .QBB - Backup file
  • .QBA - Accountant's Copy file
  • .QBM - Portable Company file
QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
  • .qb20xx or unencrypted backup file (.dmg or .qbb)
QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
  • .qpb or .db
3rd party software that you are converting to QuickBooks
  • Desktop Software: A backup or working file for the software you use. Include the password on a text document (if applicable).
  • Cloud Software: If you can't invite us as a user to your account, we'll need the login credentials for access to your company.

Can I upload multiple files?

You can upload multiple files to the case ID. You just have to upload them one at a time.

What if my file is too large to upload?

Sometimes files can get pretty big. No worries, we have a few options for you.

• Create a portable company file (currently available only in English) to upload.
  • Snail mail. Send a copy of your data file on a USB drive to one of our Intuit locations.

Note: Please include a prepaid / self addressed envelope with your drive if you wish to have it mailed back after your case is completed.

Intuit UK Data Services
C/O UK Care Case #
1 Cathedral Piazza, Victoria
London, SW1E 5BP

What if I have a QuickBooks Desktop file, but no longer have the software?

As long as you have a backup copy of your company file, you can use either of the options below to access your data:

• You can install QuickBooks on a new computer. Just use your original license and product numbers.
  • You can use a trial version of QuickBooks Desktop (currently available only in English) to open your company file.

Can I transfer my QuickBooks Desktop data to or from QuickBooks Online?

There are lots of reasons why you might want to move your data.  You might want to save your info to the cloud and back up online data to a local drive.

How is my business data protected?

As long as you use the online form to upload your data to us, it will be protected.  We use the industry standard SSL encryption. Data is removed from our servers promptly after you have uploaded your file.   We store a copy on our local servers during conversion.
Post conversion, we move your data to a secure offline storage where it's encrypted. It's best practice to have a password on your data file.

How much does this service cost?

See the QuickBooks Data Services price list (currently available only in English).