QuickBooksHelp
Intuit

Resolve a non-sufficient funds (NSF) hold on your payroll service

Learn what to do if you have an NSF hold on your payroll service.

Your payroll account may be on hold for insufficient funds. Here's how to get this resolved quickly so you can get back to running payroll.

Note: Have a different type of hold email?

Why is my payroll service on hold?

When you use our payroll services, we debit your business bank account for the direct deposit amounts and payroll taxes (for full-service products) due. We put your account on hold because the debit for your direct deposits or tax payments was returned due to an issue with your bank account. You now have a balance due.

How do you notify me?

When this happens, we send an email to the Principal Officer or Primary Principal listed on the account. Look for a message with one of the following subject lines:

• Important: Direct Deposit Payment Unsuccessful. Urgent Issue with the Payroll Account for [business name]
  • Intuit Payroll Services Action Required: Payment Request for Failed Payroll Debit
  • Intuit Payroll Services Action Required: Partial Payment Received
  • Important: Tax Payment Unsuccessful. Urgent Issue with the Payroll Account for [Business Name here]"

Once you find the email, it explains everything you need to know.

If the Principal Officer or Primary Principal listed on the account didn't receive the email, be sure to check your junk email folder too. If you still can't find the email, contact us to verify we have the correct info.

What happens now?

Important: Don't attempt stop payments on any direct deposits or tax payments directly with your bank. Stop payments can cause issues and further delays in resolving NSF holds.

We attempt an automatic redebit for insufficient or uncollected funds

The email has a code [RXX] and reason the NSF happened. If the debit was rejected due to insufficient (R01) or uncollected (R09) funds, we will first try to redebit your account for the amount due.

Note: If you have a different reject code and reason, check out the section below.

We attempt the redebit the same day that we receive the return notice from the bank. Your payroll service is put on hold for 5 business days to make sure the redebit goes through. You’ll get another email from us letting you know if the redebit was successful or not.

If the redebit is successful, you don’t need to do anything more. We remove the hold and you can process payroll again.

Can I stop the automatic redebit? What if I want to pay the balance due faster?

We are not always able to stop the automatic redebit. If you want to pay the balance faster, contact us for instructions to send a wire transfer or pay using Versapay.

We can remove the 5-business-day hold sooner if you pay by wire transfer or Versapay.

Auto redebit is unsuccessful or the debit was returned for another reason

Step 1: Look for the email notification

Have the Principal Officer or Primary Principal on the account look in their email for a message from UrgentPayrollIssue@intuit.com with the subject "Important Action Required Urgent Payroll Issue: Intuit Payroll Services - Wire Instructions."

Step 2: Go to your bank to request a wire transfer or use Versapay

Have the Principal Officer or Primary Principal on the account take the wire instructions email to the bank and request a wire transfer. Ask the bank to complete the wire transfer while you are at the bank. This can help get you back to running your payroll faster.

Wire transfers cannot be completed through online banking.

Once we receive the wire transfer, we will remove the hold within 1 business day.

If the Principal Officer or Primary Principal is not available, or wire transfers are not an option for you, contact us to request a link to pay with Versapay.

We can't accept cash, checks, or Western Union for the balance due.

Step 3: If the debit was returned for another reason, work with your bank or change your bank account

In your email, you’ll see a reject code [RXX] and reason. In some cases you may need to contact your bank to verify they can accept Intuit’s ACH transactions. If your bank asks for Intuit’s Origin ID, give them all of these info:

Tax payment origin IDs 1943345425 7943345425
Direct deposit debit origin ID 4462800242
Direct deposit return redebit origin ID 5943345425
Subscription fee origin ID 6943345425
Billing origin ID 3943345425

Then, change your payroll bank account.

Contact us once you’ve completed this and we can remove the hold.

Were my employees or contractors paid? What about my tax payments?

Select your payroll service to learn how we handle paying your employees, contractors, and tax payments.

Additional FAQs

How can I avoid this in the future?

In general, you just need to be sure to have enough money in your bank account to cover your direct deposits, tax payments, and any other payroll related fees at the time you send payroll, contractor, or electronic tax payments to us. See our terms of service for more info.

If cash flow is tight and you use one of our full service payroll products, you may want to consider using QuickBooks Online Payroll Core with auto pay and file disabled, or QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced. This can give you more control over the timing of running your payroll and paying your payroll taxes.

What happens if I don’t pay the balance due?

Your account will be canceled and sent to collections within 28 days of the initial NSF.

Do you provide letters of indemnity?

We do not provide letters of indemnity. See our terms of service.