QuickBooksHelp
Intuit

Apply sales tax rates to transactions and sales forms in QuickBooks Online

After setting up your sales tax rates in the Sales Tax Center, you can now apply them to your transactions in QuickBooks Online.

Don't see these settings? You may be using Automated Sales Tax. Get help with setting up and using Automated Sales Tax in QuickBooks Online.

Apply a sales tax on invoices, sales receipts, estimates and credit memos

1. In the customer form, under the Tax column, check the box for taxable products and/or services.
  2. At the bottom right, select a sales tax rate.
    Note: To add a new sales tax item, select Add New.
  3. Select Save.

Change the taxable status of charges or credits

1. Go to Bookkeeping then Transactions then select All Sales (Take me there), or go to Sales then select All Sales (Take me there).
  2. Find and open the Charge or Credit memo.
  3. Under the Tax column, check the box for taxable products and/or services, or uncheck the box if they are nontaxable.
  4. Select Save.

Change the taxable status of unbilled expense charges

1. Go to Bookkeeping then Transactions then select All Sales (Take me there), or go to Sales then select All Sales (Take me there).
  2. Find and open the Billable Expense Charge.
  3. To open the bill marked as billable, select the Bill link at the top.
  4. Under the Tax column, check the box for taxable products and/or services, or uncheck the box if they are nontaxable.
  5. Select Save.

Change the taxable status of unbilled time charges

2. Find and open the unbilled Time Charge.
  3. Check the Taxable box to make the billable time taxable, or uncheck the box to make it nontaxable.
  4. Select Save.

What is the letter "T" on a printed or delivered form?

When you preview or print an estimate, invoice, sales receipt, or credit memo, the Amount column includes a letter T next to some of the amounts. The T indicates that a charge is taxable. Its sales tax is included in the Sales Tax amount at the bottom of the form.