iris5426
Level 1

Upgrading QB for Mac Desktop Help Please

Hi! I'm currently running QB for Mac Desktop 2015 on a Macbook Air and an iMac (I keep my QB file on Google Drive and am careful to only access it from one at a time). Both of those computers are still running old OS systems (Yosemite on the Air and I'm not positive which on the desktop, but definitely not the most current version) and I remember some had trouble with updating QB2015 when Sierra came out, which was why we've never done that yet, or installed the last update to QB.

I've just purchased the 2019 QB Desktop for Mac after a very traumatic attempt to switch to the online option over the summer, and I want to make sure I am not going to mess everything up again, so am hoping for some hand holding and advice please.

First, I have a good number of imported online banking transactions that are not classified and transferred out of the "holding" area yet. Do those need to be done before any kind of upgrade/transfer to the new version or even just the OS upgrade? I am terribly behind on our bookkeeping and want to be sure I don't do things in the wrong order and make even more work for myself when there's already so much.

What's the ideal order for doing all of these updates? Do I update QB to R15 first and then the computer(s) to High Sierra or the other way around? What needs to be done if anything to my QB file before installing the new 2019 version? 

Finally, will I still be able to run the 2019 program on two computers (not simultaneously) as I have been in the past?

Thanks in advance for your help!

BrandonT

Install

Hello iris5426,

You ask some excellent questions and it sounds like you have a good handle on what you need to do. In theory, those unmatched banking transactions should hold. However, with that being said, if it were me, I would order the switchover exactly as you laid out the questions. First, make the time to match those transactions and then make a backup after doing so.

Since the gap between versions is large, I would update to the latest release within QB Mac 2015 before performing the upgrade. Also, the system requirements do not even mention Yosemite, so you should install to High Sierra, as you already suggested, before performing the new installation.

I remember years ago, the license agreement did allow for installation on a desktop system as well as a laptop, yet, as you install 2019, review the license agreement to ensure that is still the case.

Last, but not least, please remember to backup, backup, backup. It will help mitigate any problems should you encounter them. You want to keep your data intact.

Hope this helps, ~B

iris5426
Level 1

Install

Thanks for the quick reply! It's good to know that the unmatched transactions should hold, I may do a backup and try to upgrade one of the computers first and then if it doesn't hold I'll go back on the other one with the backup and plow through them all before completing the updates there. Does that seem like a safe course of action?

For the upgrade to 2015 QB, does the fact that you didn't address any problems with the OS update mean that whatever I remember being an issue in the past where people had some sort of trouble with their 2015 QB after updating to Sierra mean that it's no longer an issue?

BrandonT

Install

Hello iris5426,

I can find no information about problems with unmatched transactions and upgrading. However, if it were me, I would match before doing so, just in case. Backing up is always a good idea, yet, if a problem arises and you have to restore, it may take more time than the amount you intended to save in the first place. Make sense?

Also, I cannot find the system requirements for 2015 as it appears to be discontinued. If memory serves, it is unsupported in Sierra, but still may launch. Since you have 2 systems, are you able to process the full upgrade on one and refer to the other if there is a problem?

IntuitBrooks
Level 9

Install

I think the Downloaded Transactions will still be there after the update. You can always try it and see. When it updates to a new version the old copy of your company file is untouched - it just gets renamed and left in the same directory. So you can go back to 2015 and clear them up if they aren't preserved. But they should be. 

That said I wouldn't leave them in there very long myself. A change to the bank's account number (or credit card number for credit cards) will invalidate all of them.  That could happen at any time. Best to clean them up.  Besides the last year is over and you want to reconcile all your accounts with your bank statements before you pay any taxes.  Otherwise you might submit erroneous info and then its a real hassle to correct with the IRS.

The 2019 version can currently only be registered by calling. The online option isn't working due to a change in the registration server. That should be cleared up pretty soon.  You may want to wait until then (although calling does work it takes 30mins or more sometimes). 

The 2015 version had issues initially when Apple got rid of Garbage Collection.  I think that was Sierra - don't recall exactly.  We fixed it as soon as we could.  But there was an initial period where it wouldn't launch on Sierra.  

I encourage you to update to the latest version of 2015. Its been out for years now (it was released in 2014).  The newer releases will be more reliable than the older ones.  

IntuitBrooks
Level 9

Install

Also, 2019 includes iCloud Document sharing.  This is a good way to accomplish what you are doing with Google Drive.  It prevents you from modifying the file on two different machines simultaneously if you are using a cloud drive.  It works best for iCloud as Apple has better APIs but it should also work for Google Drive. Even if you forget to be careful. 

The license is unchanged. You can use two machines as long as they aren't being used at the same time. 

austinoccasions
Level 1

Install

Hi, I am experiencing some of the same issues and I was hoping you could let me know how it went. I am also using QB 2015 for Mac and no longer able to import my bank transactions so that I can reconcile 2018. I know I need to update to the 2019 version but am concerned about losing data. Especially because I am not up to date with the reconciling. I then want to switch to QB online and was curious about your experience, you said it was traumatic? Do you have any advice? And were you able to update to 2019 on your own or did you have to call the help center? I have been on the phone with them all day and no one seems to be able to help after being on hold for 2 hours. I would appreciate any advice you have, thank you!

austinoccasions
Level 1

Install

Hi, I am experiencing some of the same issues and I was hoping you could let me know how it went. I am also using QB 2015 for Mac and no longer able to import my bank transactions so that I can reconcile 2018. I know I need to update to the 2019 version but am concerned about losing data. Especially because I am not up to date with the reconciling. I then want to switch to QB online. What is the best way to make the upgrade to 2019? I can't seem to find it online and keep getting re-directed and put on hold when I call. I have to have my books reconciled for tax season so have to be able to download my bank transactions.

TheresaC

Install

I agree with Brandon, austinoccasions. 

Backing up is always the best practice to safeguard your company file. 

You can request from your bank a .qbo file format for your transactions. Then manually upload these to QuickBooks. 

You might want to use the QuickBooks Mac 2019 trial to migrate your data in QuickBooks Online. I have prepared articles that can help you along the process. 

Mention me if you need anything else.