qbteachmt
Level 15

Other questions

@Jon Hunt 

No, this is not True: "My understanding is that is that if I am the only employee I must file a form each quarter even if no compensation is paid."

The reporting is to reconcile Paychecks and withholding. Example: I pay you once a month, in Jan, Feb and March. The 941 is typically "pay by the 15th of the next month for paychecks issued" and the reporting is 941 "due by end of April for the 1st quarter" but that is Only if Paychecks were issued; it is a report of Gross wages and tax withholdings and a reconciliation against payment made during that quarter, and if they were on time or not. Or, the employer is going to file 944 = not Quarterly, but only at year end. The IRS controls your Payment cycle and Filing form # and due dates. And FUTA (Federal Unemployment) is Pay by the time is reaches $500, or at least at year end, and the 940 is an Annual reconciliation form. And then there is your State requirements.

"So I can write one check for one quarter, if I chose to and in other quarters file the form with zeros."

You don't File, if there is nothing to report. And remember: You don't get to take any other money from the business, if you also did not Pay yourself through payroll.