I am a general contractor and use Quickbooks Pro 2019 desktop version. I have one employee who receives a salary, but I need to bill different clients a portion of that salary. I seem to be able to enter a new Salary line item when I am creating the paycheck, but it automatically divides the amount of his pay in half. I need to be able to assign different amounts of the salary to different jobs so that I may bill accordingly. Any clues? Thanks in advance!
Re: Salary question
Thanks for reaching out to the QuickBooks Community, @wbsherlock.
Let me help share some insights on how you can assign different amounts of the salary to different jobs.
You can set up a billable timesheet so you can track payroll expenses by a job in your employee's paycheck. Right after, create an invoice for your customer and choose the billable time you set up for your employee.
Let's open first your employee's paycheck detail to add a Customer:Job (attached screenshot).
Now, let's set up a timesheet by following the steps below:
- At the top menu bar, click Employees.
- Go to Enter Time.
- Choose Use Weekly Timesheet.
- Click the Name drop-down and select your employee's name.
- On the Customer:Job rows, select the drop-down arrow and choose the job name.
- Make sure the Billable box is mark as check.
- Click Save & Close.
Once done, you can now create an invoice for your customer with the billable time. Let me walk you through the steps:
- Click Customers, then select Invoice.
- Select a name on the Customer:Job drop-down arrow.
- On the Billable Time/Costs window, choose Select the outstanding billable time and costs to add to this invoice? option.
- Click OK.
- Look for your employee's name with a billable time and mark as check.
- Click OK.
- Enter the Amount.
- Select Save & Close.
For additional reference, you can check these articles:
- Create and print timesheets.
- Create paychecks based on timesheet hours.
- Create an invoice in QuickBooks Desktop.
If you need further assistance with the steps, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks Desktop Support Team. They have the tools to pull up your account and do a remote session.
Here's how you can can contact our customer support:
- Select QuickBooks Desktop Help from the Help menu.
- You can also press F1 on your keyboard to bring up the same Help Panel.
- In order to route you to the correct support expert, we need to know what type of question you have.
- Click Continue.
- We’ll provide you a few options. You choose which one is best for you.
That should do it! Feel me in if you have additional questions when creating timesheet and invoice. I'll be around to help you out.