sprintership
Level 1

QB 19 with company files on dedicated computer

Experts,

I have five company files on a dedicated PC server. QB 19 Enterprise is also installed on that PC. My users are:

1 -standard

2-standard

3-standard

4-admin 

When standard users start using in the morning they complain they cannot use compony file in multiuser mode. So one user can just open a file but another or others cannot. So admin user login remotely and opens file in multiuser mode - all connects and then admin log off. This is a painful process. Is there any way to get all files be set up in multi user mode so the admin does not have to login remotely in that PC? And final question does is any user have to be login on that PC so others can open any company files from network shared folder? 

The PC is dedicated PC for shared files. Thank you

Joyce_P
QuickBooks Team

Other questions

Hello there, sprintership.

Yes, there is a way to set-up company files in a multi-user mode. Regarding your final question, it's not necessary to use the Host computer so others can open the company files from a network shared folder.

Let's perform some steps to sort things out. 

You can go to the computer where the company files are stored and open them in a multi-user mode.

1. Go to File and click Open or Restore Company.
  2. Click Open a company and click Next.
  3. In the Open a Company window, check the Open in multi-user mode box. Then, click the file that you want to open.

Once done, you'll be asked whether you want to use that computer to host multi-user access to the company file, select Yes. Then, go to another computer and open the company file in multi-user mode.

Also, here are other steps that can help us resolve this. You'll have to turn on hosting for the host computer. Please take note that if you're using a server to host your file, one computer still has acts as a Host. You must not turn on hosting for workstations.

Here's how:

1. Go to File and select Utilities.
  2. Click Host Multi-User Access.
  3. Select Yes on the confirmation window.

Please let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below.

sprintership
Level 1

Other questions

Thank you,

I did the first part; however:  "Once done, you'll be asked whether you want to use that computer to host multi-user access to the company file, select Yes" I have never seen question about that. If I go to utilities I see Stop hosting multi user access ......  

Also I understand other user workstations must have option to host multi user disable - correct? it should says single mode in utilities?

last question - does quick book needs to be opened all the time on the server so others can use file in multi user mode?

MaryGraceS

Other questions

Hi there, @sprintership.

Thanks for getting back to us in the Community and taking the time to share the outcome after trying the steps on my colleague's previous post. I'd be happy to help add some more insight to get this straightened out.

Since you see the option Stop Hosting Multi-User Access on the computer that hosts your company files, leave it like that. There should be only one computer set to host the file.

To answer your second question, you're correct. The Host Multi-User Access option needs to be turned off in the workstations or other computers connected to the network. However, multi-user must be selected so that they can use the company file in this mode. 

If you wish to check each workstation to make sure the Host Multi-User Access option is off, please refer to the steps below: 

Here's how: 

1. Open QuickBooks on each workstation.
  2. Open the File menu and hover over Utilities.
  3. If you see the Host Multi-User Access option, don’t select it. Move on to the next workstation. This one isn’t causing the problem.
  4. If Stop Hosting Multi-User Access is an option, select it.

Additionally, please take note that every user in QuickBooks has the ability to change the file from multi-user mode to single-user manually. However, the file should stay in the same state that it was when being closed. So if the file was in multi-user mode when closed, it should be the same when reopened.

For your last question, you don't need to keep QuickBooks open on the server. However, when working within a multi-user mode, QuickBooks services (QuickbooksDBXX and QBCFMonitorService) need to be running on the server. When they're not set up to start automatically, this can cause the file to open in just single user mode when accessed from a workstation. 

Here's how to verify if QuickBooks services are running on your server computer:

1. Open the Windows Start Menu on your server computer.
  2. Type “Run” into the search and open Run.
  3. Type “services.msc” into the Run window, and then press Enter.
  4. Find and double-click QuickBooksDBXX on the list. XX notes your version of QuickBooks.
  5. Select Automatic for the Startup Type.
  6. Make sure the Service status is either Running or Started. If it’s neither, select Start.
  7. Select the Recovery tab.
  8. Select Restart the Service from each of these drop-down menus: First failureSecond failure, and Subsequent failures.
  9. Select Apply and then OK to save the changes.

Repeat these steps for QBCFMonitorService. When you’re done, open QuickBooks on each workstation. Go to the File menu and select Switch to Multi-User Mode. If everything opens correctly, the problem is fixed.

That should take care of it. I'm also leaving you some articles about hosting for additional reference: 

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions about this or after trying the steps above. I want to make sure everything is running properly in your end. Have a wonderful day. 

sprintership
Level 1

Other questions

looks like QuickBooksDB29 was in manual mode on that designated PC testing for a couple of days .....