Anonymous
Not applicable

Other questions

Hi there, @Weber.

I can help you on how to deposit the vendor and make it show on the correct item category. There are certain scenarios we need to determine first before recording the refund. 

If the vendor sends you a refund check for a bill that is already created, you can follow the steps below:

1. First, you'll need to make a deposit for the refund. From the Banking menu, click Make Deposits.
  2. If the Payments to Deposit window appears, click OK.
  3. In the Make Deposits windowclick the Received from drop-down and choose the vendor who sent you the refund.
  4. In the From Account drop-down,  select the appropriate Accounts Payable account.
  5. In the Amount column, enter the actual amount of the Vendor check.
  6. (Optional) Enter a memo, check number, payment method and class.
  7. Click Save & Close.

Next, record a Bill Credit for the refunded amount. From here, you'll need to select billable so you can enter the project name. Later on, you will link this to the created deposit.

Here's how:

1. From the Vendors menu, select Enter Bills.
  2. Select the Credit radio button to account for the return of goods.
  3. Enter the Vendor name.
  4. Click the Expenses Tab and enter the Accounts on the original Bill.
  5. In the Amount column, enter the appropriate amount for each Account (the amounts may have to be prorated).
  6. Click Save and Close.
  7. To link the deposit to the Bill Credit, you'll need to select Pay Bills from the Vendor menu.
  8. Check the Deposit that matches the Vendor check amount.
  9. Select Set Credits and apply the Bill Credit you created earlier then click Done.
  10. Click Pay Selected Bills then Done.

That should do it.  It will now post to the correct project with the specific item.

For other appropriate scenarios on how to record the refund from a vendor, please check this helpful article: Record a vendor refund in QuickBooks Desktop.

Should you have other questions about the process, don't hesitate to let me know. I'm always here to help. Have a great weekend.

View solution in original post